Find the tension in each rope torque

In summary, to find the tension in each rope for a uniform plank supported by three ropes and a 700N person standing 0.5m from the left end, we can use the equation for the sum of moments around a pivot point. By treating the person as a point load and the weight of the plank at its center of mass, we can determine that the tension in the left rope must equal 1/4 of the weight of the person and plank divided by the sine of the angle between the left and right ropes. This allows us to plug in the value for T1 into the other equations to find the tensions in the other ropes.
poloboy
Find the tension in each rope "torque"

1. A uniform plank of length 2m and mass 30kg is supported by three ropes. Find the tension in each rope when 700N person is 0.5m from the left end.

2. diagram
↑ /
| /
| /40 degrees ↓ (rotating clockwise)
←-----person-----------------/---

The Attempt at a Solution

So i began with isolating the X and Y variables
ie: X on left, fcos40
y going up, fsin40
how would i go about breaking down the mass of the person + plank to figure out the tension in each rope?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a statics problem the sum of the moments about any pivot is zero. It's a little difficult to tell from the illustration where the ropes are, but I'm guessing all three are attached at the left end?

Treat the person as a point load from at 0.5 m from the end, or 1.5 m from the pivot. Treat the weight of the plank at its center of mass.

sorry the diagram didn't show up better

theres a rope pointing left, one pointing up (on the left side) and one rope pointing tot he right at 40 degrees North east

And the pivot is on the right?

If there is no tension in the plank then then the x- or horizontal component in the rope at 40° will balance the tension in the horizontal rope.

Try to write the equation for the sum of the moments about the pivot.

awsome, figured it out.
i set x coord t1cosO - T3 and y coord as T1sinO + T2 - W(person+plank)

set my t1 = 1/4(Wperson +2Mplank)/sinO then i just plugged in T1 to my other forumlas.

thanks!

1. How do you calculate tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope can be calculated by using the formula T = F x sin(theta), where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the rope, and theta is the angle between the rope and the direction of that force.

2. What is the relationship between tension and torque?

Tension and torque are related in that the tension in a rope can create a torque, or rotational force, on an object. This torque is equal to the tension multiplied by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the rope is attached.

3. How is the tension in each rope affected by the amount of force applied?

The tension in each rope is directly proportional to the amount of force applied. This means that as the force increases, the tension in the rope will also increase.

4. How does the angle of the rope affect the tension?

The angle of the rope affects the tension by changing the value of sin(theta) in the tension formula. As the angle increases, the tension will decrease, and as the angle decreases, the tension will increase.

5. Why is it important to find the tension in each rope in torque problems?

It is important to find the tension in each rope in torque problems because it helps to determine the overall forces acting on an object and the resulting rotational motion. By understanding the tension in each rope, we can also ensure that the object is in equilibrium and not experiencing any net torque.