1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the tension in each rope torque

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    Find the tension in each rope "torque"

1. A uniform plank of length 2m and mass 30kg is supported by three ropes. Find the tension in each rope when 700N person is 0.5m from the left end.

2. diagram
    ↑ /
    | /
    | /40 degrees ↓ (rotating clockwise)
    ←-----person-----------------/---

3. The attempt at a solution

So i began with isolating the X and Y variables
    ie: X on left, fcos40
    y going up, fsin40
    how would i go about breaking down the mass of the person + plank to figure out the tension in each rope?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

For a statics problem the sum of the moments about any pivot is zero. It's a little difficult to tell from the illustration where the ropes are, but I'm guessing all three are attached at the left end?

Treat the person as a point load from at 0.5 m from the end, or 1.5 m from the pivot. Treat the weight of the plank at its center of mass.

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    sorry the diagram didn't show up better

theres a rope pointing left, one pointing up (on the left side) and one rope pointing tot he right at 40 degrees North east

5. Oct 24, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

And the pivot is on the right?

If there is no tension in the plank then then the x- or horizontal component in the rope at 40° will balance the tension in the horizontal rope.

Try to write the equation for the sum of the moments about the pivot.

6. Oct 26, 2007 #5
    awsome, figured it out.
    i set x coord t1cosO - T3 and y coord as T1sinO + T2 - W(person+plank)

set my t1 = 1/4(Wperson +2Mplank)/sinO then i just plugged in T1 to my other forumlas.

thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?