Find the time dependence.... (Mechanics)

In summary, the problem asks for the time dependence of the velocity, v(t), for a particle sliding down an inclined plane with a resistive force. This means finding the function v(t) that expresses v as a function of t. To find the time required to move a distance d, one must solve for v(t) and then x(t) backwards and solve for t. Examples of time dependence of velocity include v(t) = v0 + at for constant acceleration.
Martyna

Homework Statement

I am not looking for a solution to the problem, as much as I need a clarification on what it's asking for. The problem:

"A particle of mass m slides down an inclined plane under the influence of gravity. The particle is starting its motion from rest. Find the time dependence of the velocity, v(t) is the motion is resisted by a force F = kmf(v), with constant k for
1. f(v) = v^2. Find the time required to move a distance d.
2. f(v) = e^beta*v, where beta is a constant."

My question is what it means by find the time dependence. I know to find the time required to move a distance d, you must go backwards getting a solution for v(t) then x(t) then solving for t, however I'm unsure about what exactly is a "time dependence" kind of answer...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

"Finding the time dependence of the velocity, v(t)" means to find the function v(t) which expresses v as a function of t.

For example, if a particle starts with velocity ##v_0## and moves along a straight line with constant acceleration ##a##, then the time dependence of the velocity is expressed as the function ##v(t) = v_0 + at##.

Likes Martyna
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

"Finding the time dependence of the velocity, v(t)" means to find the function v(t) which expresses v as a function of t.

For example, if a particle starts with velocity ##v_0## and moves along a straight line with constant acceleration ##a##, then the time dependence of the velocity is expressed as the function ##v(t) = v_0 + at##.

Of course...Just find v(t). I must have been misreading the problem confusing myself. Thank you!

1. What is the meaning of "time dependence" in mechanics?

In mechanics, time dependence refers to how a physical system changes or evolves over time. It describes how the position, velocity, and other properties of an object or system vary with time.

2. How do you find the time dependence of a system in mechanics?

The time dependence of a system in mechanics can be found by solving the equations of motion that govern the behavior of the system. These equations can be derived using principles such as Newton's laws of motion or the Lagrangian formalism.

3. What factors can affect the time dependence of a system in mechanics?

The time dependence of a system in mechanics can be affected by various factors such as external forces, initial conditions, and the properties of the system itself (e.g. mass, shape, etc.). In addition, the type of motion (e.g. linear, rotational) and the presence of constraints can also impact the time dependence.

4. Can the time dependence of a system in mechanics be predicted accurately?

In theory, the time dependence of a system in mechanics can be predicted accurately if all relevant factors and initial conditions are known with precision and the equations of motion are solved correctly. However, in practice, there may be limitations or uncertainties in the data and the model used, leading to potential errors in the predictions.

5. How is the concept of time dependence used in practical applications of mechanics?

The concept of time dependence is crucial in practical applications of mechanics, such as in designing machines and structures, predicting the behavior of physical systems, and analyzing the motion of celestial bodies. It is also used in various engineering fields, including aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering to optimize and improve the performance of systems and structures.