Find the time when velocity = 10 m/s

In summary: However, because B is negative, the result is an imaginary number. This means that the equation cannot be solved for t and the problem cannot be solved for x.
tebes

Homework Statement

v is the velocity.
v = (5.4t - 4.4t^2)i + 8.8 j
what is the time when v = 10 m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the solution the following solution,
( (5.4t - 4.4t^2)^2 + 8.8^2 )^ 1/2 = 10
I solved for t.
But the highest power of t will be up to 4.
Is my method correct in solving the question above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Square the equation to get rid of the radical. Move the 8.8^2 to RHS leaving only something squared on LHS. Take square root and you are left with quadratic. The problem then is that the roots of the quadratic equation are imaginary. Are you sure you copied the problem correctly. B*B-4*A*C < 0.

LawrenceC said:
Square the equation to get rid of the radical. Move the 8.8^2 to RHS leaving only something squared on LHS. Take square root and you are left with quadratic. The problem then is that the roots of the quadratic equation are imaginary. Are you sure you copied the problem correctly. B*B-4*A*C < 0.

yes. I double checked several times already. I was baffling with the same the problem too.
Therefore, i would get more then 1 positive answer, right ?

No, you get the square root of a negative number for a time. Last time I looked, time was not an imaginary quantity. B*B-4*A*C is what is under the radical. If it is less than zero, then roots are imaginary.

LawrenceC said:
No, you get the square root of a negative number for a time. Last time I looked, time was not an imaginary quantity. B*B-4*A*C is what is under the radical. If it is less than zero, then roots are imaginary.

Is it legit that I move the negative under the radical out ? I would get something like (xxx)^1/2 i ; i = -1. Am i correct ?

Sure, you can remove the real part of the number.

(-9)^.5 = 3i where i is (-1)^.5

What bothers me is that the result is an imaginary number and how this relates to the phycality of the problem. If B were larger or if either A or C were different, you would not have a negative under the radical.

1. How do you find the time when velocity equals 10 m/s?

To find the time when velocity equals 10 m/s, you can use the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time. Rearrange the equation to solve for t: t = d/v. Plug in the known values for velocity and distance, and solve for time.

2. What information do you need to find the time when velocity equals 10 m/s?

To find the time when velocity equals 10 m/s, you need to know the velocity and distance. These values can be obtained from a position-time graph or by using a speedometer.

3. Can you use any unit for velocity when finding the time?

Yes, as long as the unit for distance is consistent. For example, if the distance is given in meters, the velocity should also be in meters per second.

4. Is finding the time when velocity equals 10 m/s the same as finding the average speed?

No, finding the time when velocity equals 10 m/s only gives you the time at a specific moment when the velocity is 10 m/s. Average speed, on the other hand, takes into account the total distance traveled over a period of time.

5. Can this equation be used for finding the time at any velocity?

Yes, the equation v = d/t can be used to find the time at any velocity as long as the distance is known. It is a fundamental equation in physics known as the equation of motion.