1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the value of a and the coordinates Q and T

1. Sep 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The function ##f(x)=2a^2x\left(x-a\right)^2## intersects with the line ##y=ax## at the origin, point ##Q(b,f(b))## and point ##T(c,f(c))## where ##c>b>0##. A probability density function, ##p(x)=ax-f(x)## can be formed over the domain ##[b,c]##.

(a) Determine the exact values for:
    1. The constant, ##a##
    2. The coordinates ##Q## and ##T##
    (b) Calculate ##Pr(2^{1/3}≤X≤2^{2/3})## correct to 4 decimal places

2. Relevant equations
    For PDFs: ##∫_b^cf(x)dx=1##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that for ##p(x)## to be a probability function, the integration of ##p(x)## over the domain ##[b,c]## must equal 1. However, the problem here is that we don't have the values of ##b## or ##c##. Given that part 1 of the question is to find ##a##, I assume we have to find that to be able to find ##b## and ##c##. However, I'm kind of at a loss as how I would go about doing this.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You know they are such that Q and T lie on the intersection of the two curves, so b and c must be solutions to a certain equation.

4. Sep 11, 2016 #3
    I'll give you a small hint to get you started: the first step is to solve a couple things simultaneously. You shouldn't have too much trouble with the rest from there :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted