Find the value of aerodynamic constant C for this dimpled sphere.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Sneakatone
Messages
318
Reaction score
0
A falling golf ball (mass 45 g, radius 20.0mm) reaches high terminal speed of 42 m/s. what is the value of the aerodynamic constant C for this dimpled sphere?

I tried using mv^2/r -> (0.45 kg)*(42 m/s)/0.2m=94.5 but Its not correct. I don't understand what they mean by constant C.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the golf ball is undergoing linear motion. Your formula is for the centripetal force on an object in circular motion. What you need is a formula for terminal speed of an object which is falling.
 
if this is the right equation should the units of v=km/h and r=m?
in other words what should the units be?
 
Sneakatone said:
if this is the right equation should the units of v=km/h and r=m?
in other words what should the units be?
Anything you like as long as you are consistent. Put everything into MKS units and you should be safe.
 
would you recommend I convert to km since p is km?
 
Last edited:
Sneakatone said:
would you recommend I convert to km since p is km?

Isn't p (rho) the density? That would be kg/m3 in MKS.