Find the velocity of block a using vector method.

In summary, the conversation was about a physics problem involving finding the velocity and tension in a system using different methods. The "vector method" was mentioned but not clearly defined, causing some confusion. The student also had a question about the change in terminology in the middle of the problem. The expert agreed with the student's approach and answers.
Dusty912

Homework Statement

(Picture attached)

Question 1: The system starts at rest. Block a accelerates towards the bottom the the rod. Find the velocity of the block when it is at the bottom of the rod using the "vector method". So this was my midterm question today. I knew how to figure out how fast it was going using work emery method and found the velocity to be 3.16 meters per second which I know is the right answer. But, I cannot find anything about a "vector method" could someone help me understand what this is indicating?

Question 2: find the tension in the string. I believe I found this to be about 264.9 by finding out how fast block A is accelerating and then applying the dynamic equilibrium force equation and solving for T

Homework Equations

L=2Xa +Xb (the length of the string that is changing with time)

F=ma (in y-direc)

for block A

2T-mag=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

question 1:
applying a time derivative to L yields
0=2x'a+x'b

and taking another:
0=2x''a+x''b
Ill stop here for question 1 because I am just wondering what vector method is indicating to do. The correct velocity is 3.16m/s (I know this is correct)

question 2:

if block a moves .6 meters from initial velocity zero to velocity 3.16 then it is accelerating at 8.32 m/s2 by applying the kinematics equation. by subbing in my values to :

2T-mag-500=m*a

I got T=264.9NI also applied the dynamic equilibrium expression to block B and got the same result
is this correct?
for block B T-mg=ma

acceleration of B is 16.64
subbing in the values gets 264.9 again.

This seems fairly straightforward for question 2 but a lot of people I talked to had different answers.
by the way for the first question, I know you all have a policy that you do not give solutions, but I have already taken the exam and am just wondering what I should have done instead. The second question just needs to be reviewed. Thanks ahead of time. you all rock!

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    20.8 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Dusty912 said:
using the "vector method"
That doesn't make much sense to me either. My best guess is that they mean using forces and accelerations rather than energy.
Using that approach, I agree with your answers.

Yea, he also asked us to write an FBD with normal and tangential coordinate, even though the motion is linear. It was only until a student said something that he corrected himself. I'm a first year transfer and don't understand why my community college professors were so phenomenally talented at what they do, while the professors at my four year have been somewhat disappointing. I was babied and didn't even know it :(

but, great. I'm glad I got the tension right at least

thanks for your help! you rock!

Hey I've got another question for you regarding the wording of that question. In an earlier part of the problem he asked to "derive the dynamic force equilibrium equations" which I put as F=ma applied separately to block A and B, and then expanded as I earlier stated to find the tension. Should he have just said "find the velocity of block A with the dynamic equilibrium equations" instead of "vector method"? I don't understand why he would change terminology in the middle of a problem. Unless I am misunderstanding something here and the two are not related. This problem was my whole midterm by the way.

haruspex said:
That doesn't make much sense to me either. My best guess is that they mean using forces and accelerations rather than energy.
Using that approach, I agree with your answers.

Hey I've got another question for you regarding the wording of that question. In an earlier part of the problem he asked to "derive the dynamic force equilibrium equations" which I put as F=ma applied separately to block A and B, and then expanded as I earlier stated to find the tension. Should he have just said "find the velocity of block A with the dynamic equilibrium equations" instead of "vector method"? I don't understand why he would change terminology in the middle of a problem. Unless I am misunderstanding something here and the two are not related. This problem was my whole midterm by the way.

Dusty912 said:
Should he have just said "find the velocity of block A with the dynamic equilibrium equations" instead of "vector method"?
Probably, but you will have to ask him. His earlier mention of normal and tangential suggests he was somehow thinking it was a 2D problem.

What is a vector method?

A vector method is a mathematical approach used to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves using vectors, which are arrows that represent the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity.

How is velocity calculated using vector method?

Velocity is calculated using the vector method by finding the rate of change of position with respect to time. This can be done by finding the difference between the initial and final positions of an object and dividing it by the time taken to travel that distance.

What information is needed to find the velocity of block a using vector method?

To find the velocity of block a using vector method, you will need the position of the block at two different points in time and the time interval between those two points. This information can be used to calculate the displacement of the block and then the velocity.

Can vector method be used to find the velocity of an object in any direction?

Yes, vector method can be used to find the velocity of an object in any direction. This is because vectors take into account both the magnitude and direction of a quantity, allowing for calculations in any direction.

What are some advantages of using vector method to find velocity?

Using vector method to find velocity allows for calculations in any direction, making it a versatile approach. It also takes into account the direction of motion, which can be important in certain situations. Additionally, it can be used to solve complex problems involving multiple forces and directions of motion.