Find the velocity of the swimmer relative to the shore

• Thread starter larryboi7
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A swimmer is moving 30 degrees south of east at a constant speed of 5mph relative to the water. A current is flowing 30 degrees west of north at a constant speed of 1.5mph.

Find the velocity of the swimmer relative to the shore. After 2 hours, what is the swimmers displacement? How FAR is the swimmer from his target position if he swam unaware of the current?

Homework Equations

Vsl = Vsw + Vwl
Vox = Vo(cos30)
Voy = Vo(sin30)

The Attempt at a Solution

Vox = 5cos30 = 4.33
Voy = 5sin30 = 2.5

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Surely you must have some idea?

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hehe, obviously I didn't expect you to say "yes, I know the answer already, I just want to check if you know it".
But when asking questions about homework, we would like you to show some work which you have already tried, even if you think it is leading you nowhere.

Does an equation like
vSW + vWL = vSL
sound familiar,
where vSW is the velocity vector of the swimmer relative to the water, vWL of the water relative to the land, and vSL of the swimmer relative to the land

Hehe, obviously I didn't expect you to say "yes, I know the answer already, I just want to check if you know it".
But when asking questions about homework, we would like you to show some work which you have already tried, even if you think it is leading you nowhere.

Does an equation like
vSW + vWL = vSL
sound familiar,
where vSW is the velocity vector of the swimmer relative to the water, vWL of the water relative to the land, and vSL of the swimmer relative to the land
Yes, it does look familiar. I just have hard time setting it up. The problem I have now it finding the velocities. I believe the equations I presented are correct?