1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the zeroes of r. What to do when it is a multiple of theta?

1. Apr 24, 2015 #1
    I understand what to do when theta is by itself such as r=5+10cos(theta) but what if you have the same equation, and it is (2theta) I am on taptalk by the way.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What have you tried?
    In essence, you're trying to solve the equation ##5 + 10\cos(2\theta) = 0##.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  4. Apr 25, 2015 #3
    Well if it were without the 2*theta I'd set it equal to 0, like you did, and solve for cos(theta). Well anyway without the 2 you turn the equation into cos=-1/2, would I just multiply -1/2 by 2? Or would I add 2pi or something?

5. Apr 25, 2015 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Solve for 2*theta. Solve for theta from that.

6. Apr 25, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You took a trig class, right? Do you still have your textbook? If so, there should be numerous examples of solving trig equations, including ones that involve the sine or cosine (or other trig function) of angle multiples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook