1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a complex number from an equation

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all complex numbers z such that z^6 = -64

2. Relevant equations

I tried it in two ways, once with the sum of cubes (a + b)(a^2 - ab + b^2)
    as well as turning it into polar form and attempting it that way, z = re^(iθ)

3. The attempt at a solution

I completely couldn't solve it at all with the sum of cubes, however, I managed to get six solutions by using the polar form and then saying that θ = ∏/3 (3 + k), where k = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

By subbing in k into the equation z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r = 2, I get the answers: -2i, +-(-1 - sqrt(3)i), +- (1 + sqrt(3)i), and +2i. However, the book i'm using gives the answers +- 2i, and +- (sqrt(3) + i), and +- (-sqrt(3) - i). Thank you guys in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, (-1 - sqrt(3)i)^6=64, not -64. Something clearly went wrong with your polar solution. Can you show us what you did?

4. Nov 12, 2013 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

We used to solve these in a geometrically way noting that the roots will be on a circle equally spaced at every 60 degrees about 0+0i and with a radius of 2. So given one root you can find the others.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. Nov 12, 2013 #4
    Well, r^6 = 64 so r = 2, and then because a / r = - 32, and b / r = 0, I just assumed that the angle I start at is pi, so my angle equation becomes 6θ = ∏ + 2∏k, and oh wait I pretty much just found my error as soon as I typed it out LOL, thanks alot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted