Finding a curve in 3 space when two equations intersect

• MHB
  • Thread starter skate_nerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve Space
In summary, the two given equations z=x2+y2 and z=x2+(y-1)2 represent two shifted paraboloids. To find the intersection curve, the equations are set equal to each other, resulting in y=1/2 and z=x^2+1/4. The mistake of overlooking the negative root is corrected, giving the same solution of y=1/2.
skate_nerd
So I have two equations that intersect: z=x2+y2 which I know is a paraboloid, and z=x2+(y-1)2 which I know is also a paraboloid shifted one unit in the positive y-direction. However I attempted to find the intersection curve and only way I could think to do that was by setting the two equations equal to each other, x2+y2=x2+(y-1)2 however that ended inconclusively. Any help with this would be appreciated. I have to graph it too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Equating the two functions gives you $\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{2}$ and then using this value for $y$ in either function gives the curve of intersection as:

$\displaystyle z=x^2+\frac{1}{4}$

I guess I'm overlooking something dumb right now but when I set them equal to each other, the x2's cancel out and then you have y2=(y-1)2, or y=y-1...

Yes, you do get:

$y^2=(y-1)^2$

Now, at this point you don't want to simply take the positive root of both sides (as this has no solution), you want to expand the right side to get:

$y^2=y^2-2y+1$

$0=-2y+1$

$2y=1$

$\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{2}$

Now, initially you could have equated the positive root on the left with the negative root on the right to get:

$y=-(y-1)=1-y$

$2y=1$

$\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{2}$

Ahh there we go. Thanks, got it now.

1. How do I find the intersection of two equations in 3 space?

To find the intersection of two equations in 3 space, you can use the method of substitution. This involves solving one equation for a variable and then substituting that expression into the other equation. The resulting equation will be a curve in 3 space that represents the intersection of the two original equations.

2. Can I use the method of elimination to find a curve in 3 space when two equations intersect?

Yes, the method of elimination can also be used to find the intersection of two equations in 3 space. This involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one of the variables, resulting in a single equation that represents the intersection curve.

3. What if the two equations do not intersect in 3 space?

If the two equations do not intersect in 3 space, then there is no curve that represents their intersection. This could mean that the equations are parallel or that they do not have any common points in 3 space.

4. How do I graph the curve in 3 space that represents the intersection of two equations?

To graph the curve in 3 space, you will need to plot points that satisfy both equations. You can do this by choosing values for two of the variables and then solving for the third variable. Repeat this process for multiple points and then connect the points to create the curve.

5. Are there any other methods for finding a curve in 3 space when two equations intersect?

Yes, there are other methods such as the method of matrices and the method of parametric equations. These methods may be more efficient and accurate for certain types of equations or situations. It is always a good idea to explore different methods to find the best solution for a particular problem.