Finding a function that goes through given points

In summary, the conversation discussed finding a function of a decaying logarithmic trend that passes through three points with a sum of S, where S is a positive value. The proposed generic form was y = -kln(x+c)+d, but it was suggested to use x+an unknown constant instead. The final S was confirmed to be the same as the given S. It was noted that using x+1 was not necessary, and the A in the formula could be left as a free variable to be determined. Two equations with two unknowns were used to solve for the function.
iScience

Homework Statement

Find a function of a decaying logarithmic trend that passes through a set of 3 points (at x=1,2,3) whose sum is S, where S>0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

starting point: i assumed the equation had the form: $$y= -kln(x+1)+S$$ with the condition that must satisfy:

$$S=Σ(y(x))$$ from 1→3

but I don't know what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
In your proposed generic form, I see no reason to choose x+1 rather than x+an unknown constant. And I don't understand the final S; did you mean this to be the same as the given S or something different?
If we make it x+c as well as a final +d (say) then we have three unknowns (c, d, k) but effectively only one equation. So presumably the question expects a simpler generic form, but it is not clear what. If I had to guess, I would ditch d first.

Edit:After a little background reading, seems like you should keep d and ditch c. Logarithmic decay appears to be defined as the functional inverse of exponential decay, i.e. x=Ae-ky.

I see no reason to choose x+1 rather than x+an unknown constant.
Oh, no actually not necessary, I was just trying to find a convenient way to set up the graph on my calculator; my proposed form would have essentially looked like the same graph as that of x=Ae^(-ky)

I don't understand the final S; did you mean this to be the same as the given S or something different?
Same S.I tried your suggested formula. Since the A was left as a free variable to be determined, i had two equations two unknowns and was able to solve. much thanks!

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of numbers, typically referred to as the input and output. It maps each input value to a unique output value.

2. How do I find a function that goes through given points?

To find a function that goes through given points, you can use the slope-intercept form of a linear function, y = mx + b. First, calculate the slope (m) using the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line. Then, plug in one of the given points and the calculated slope into the equation to solve for the y-intercept (b). The resulting equation will be the function that goes through the given points.

3. Can there be more than one function that goes through a set of given points?

Yes, there can be infinitely many functions that go through a set of given points. This is because any points can be connected by a straight line, and there are an infinite number of possible straight lines that can be drawn between two points.

4. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear function?

A linear function is a function that has a constant rate of change, meaning that the output changes by a consistent amount for every unit change in the input. A non-linear function, on the other hand, does not have a constant rate of change and may exhibit curves or bends in its graph.

5. Can a function go through every point on a graph?

No, a function cannot go through every point on a graph. A function can only have one output for each input, so it is impossible for a function to pass through more than one point with the same x-coordinate.