Finding a matrix representation for operator A

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a matrix representation for operator A=x\frac{d}{dx} using Legendre polynomials as a base. It is suggested to use a_{mn}=\int^{+1}_{-1}P_m(x)\,x\frac{d}{dx}\,P_n(x)\,dx, but there is an issue with the Legendre polynomials not being orthonormal. There is also a question about whether the integral of the a_{mn} terms should be multiplied by the norm. It is noted that it would be helpful to specify the Hilbert space and domain of A. There is also a comment about physicists representing unbounded operators as matrices.
Msilva
I need to find a matrix representation for operator [itex]A=x\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] using Legendre polinomials as base.
I would use [tex]a_{mn}=\int^{-1}_{-1}P_m(x)\,x\frac{d}{dx}\,P_n(x)\,dx[/tex], but I have the problem that Legendre polinomials aren't orthonormal [tex]\langle P_{i}|P_{l}\rangle=\delta_{il}\frac{2}{2i+1}[/tex].

I don't know if I must mutiply the integral of the [itex]a_{mn}[/itex] terms by the norm, because I have terms in n and m order.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have some remarks, to kick things off:
  • To let other help you better, it may be a good idea to specify the Hilbert space ##H## (including a definition of the inner product) on which ##A## acts and the domain ##D(A)## of ##A##.
  • If, for example, ##H = L^2(-1,1)## with the standard inner product, then the (normalized) Legendre polynomials that I know form an orthonormal basis of ##H##.
  • It has always remained somewhat of a mystery to me why physicists (I presume you are one?) insist on representing unbounded operators as matrices.

-
Msilva said:
I need to find a matrix representation for operator [itex]A=x\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] using Legendre polinomials as base.
I would use [tex]a_{mn}=\int^{-1}_{-1}P_m(x)\,x\frac{d}{dx}\,P_n(x)\,dx[/tex],
Did you mean ##a_{mn}=\int^{+1}_{-1}P_m(x)\,x\frac{d}{dx}\,P_n(x)\,dx##?
Msilva said:
but I have the problem that Legendre polinomials aren't orthonormal [tex]\langle P_{i}|P_{l}\rangle=\delta_{il}\frac{2}{2i+1}[/tex].

I don't know if I must mutiply the integral of the [itex]a_{mn}[/itex] terms by the norm, because I have terms in n and m order.

1. What is a matrix representation for an operator?

A matrix representation for an operator is a way to represent a linear transformation between vector spaces using a matrix. It allows for easier computation and manipulation of the operator, as well as providing insight into its properties.

2. Why is it important to find a matrix representation for an operator?

Finding a matrix representation for an operator is important because it allows for easier computation and manipulation of the operator. It also provides a more concrete understanding of the operator's properties and how it affects vectors in a vector space.

3. How do you find a matrix representation for an operator?

To find a matrix representation for an operator, you first need to choose a basis for both the domain and range of the operator. Then, you apply the operator to each basis vector in the domain and express the resulting vectors in terms of the basis vectors in the range. Finally, you arrange these resulting vectors as the columns of a matrix, which will be the matrix representation of the operator.

4. Can the matrix representation for an operator change depending on the chosen basis?

Yes, the matrix representation for an operator can change depending on the chosen basis. This is because the basis vectors used to express the resulting vectors in terms of the range basis will be different for each basis. However, the underlying transformation represented by the operator remains the same regardless of the chosen basis.

5. Are there any properties of the operator that can be determined from its matrix representation?

Yes, there are several properties of the operator that can be determined from its matrix representation. These include the rank, nullity, and determinant of the operator, as well as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Additionally, the matrix representation can also reveal if the operator is invertible or diagonalizable.