1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a matrix representation for operator A

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    I need to find a matrix representation for operator [itex]A=x\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] using Legendre polinomials as base.
    I would use [tex]a_{mn}=\int^{-1}_{-1}P_m(x)\,x\frac{d}{dx}\,P_n(x)\,dx[/tex], but I have the problem that Legendre polinomials aren't orthonormal [tex]\langle P_{i}|P_{l}\rangle=\delta_{il}\frac{2}{2i+1}[/tex].

I don't know if I must mutiply the integral of the [itex]a_{mn}[/itex] terms by the norm, because I have terms in n and m order.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have some remarks, to kick things off:
    • To let other help you better, it may be a good idea to specify the Hilbert space ##H## (including a definition of the inner product) on which ##A## acts and the domain ##D(A)## of ##A##.
    • If, for example, ##H = L^2(-1,1)## with the standard inner product, then the (normalized) Legendre polynomials that I know form an orthonormal basis of ##H##.
    • It has always remained somewhat of a mystery to me why physicists (I presume you are one?) insist on representing unbounded operators as matrices.

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

-
    Did you mean ##a_{mn}=\int^{+1}_{-1}P_m(x)\,x\frac{d}{dx}\,P_n(x)\,dx##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook