Finding a New TV: Small & Perfect for Bedroom

  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the best small tv for a bedroom is the Philips 22" model. It's got a good price, good signal reception, and is a good size.
  • #1
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
24,017
3,337
My beloved ancient tv that was given to me is dying, so I need to find a new one.

I need suggestions for a small, maybe 19 inch one for my bedroom.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
If you are not a nut about sound quality, want the ability to play DVDs and TV, this is about the cheapest way out. It is pretty small, so it will not take up a lot of space, and the DVD/CD drive is slot-fed, not tray. I was looking at something similar until my wife found a local sale on combo CRT, DVD, VHS (she has lots of fitness tapes) for the bedroom.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....utm_campaign=CBTFDVD1973&sku=CBTFDVD1973#tabs
 
  • #3
turbo-1 said:
If you are not a nut about sound quality, want the ability to play DVDs and TV, this is about the cheapest way out. It is pretty small, so it will not take up a lot of space, and the DVD/CD drive is slot-fed, not tray. I was looking at something similar until my wife found a local sale on combo CRT, DVD, VHS (she has lots of fitness tapes) for the bedroom.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....utm_campaign=CBTFDVD1973&sku=CBTFDVD1973#tabs
That is a good value.

Evo Child gave me a new DVD player last Christmas though.

Kurdt said to go with Sony the other day, but he was talking about a very high end one, and I'm not going that big for the bedroom. I was thinking of this, what do you think?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL22BX300/13812459
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4
I don't know, and no way to do a side-by-side comparison. The Coby has pretty high resolution, though Sony makes some pretty nice electronics. It it was just for casual use in a bedroom (forget the home-theater quality), I'd probably opt for the less expensive model. By the time it craps out, the entry-level models will be better, cheaper, with more flexibility.
 
  • #5
Evo,

When I decided to buy a new tv, I went to Walmart and viewed them from probably 100 feet as I was walking to their electronics section. It was clear that there were only two choices; the two with the brightest, clearest picture. When I got there and looked, they were the Samsung and the Philips. I looked at their specifications and they were almost identical. The biggest difference was the cost; the Philips being the cheapest. So I bought the Philips and have been very satisfied for over a year now.

I would suggest looking at the specs very closely. Here is Walmarts Philips 22" that you might want to take a look at.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-22PFL3504D/14690503#ProductDetail"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #6
dlgoff said:
Evo,

When I decided to buy a new tv, I went to Walmart and viewed them from probably 100 feet as I was walking to their electronics section. It was clear that there were only two choices; the two with the brightest, clearest picture. When I got there and looked, they were the Samsung and the Philips. I looked at their specifications and they were almost identical. The biggest difference was the cost; the Philips being the cheapest. So I bought the Philips and have been very satisfied for over a year now.

I would suggest looking at the specs very closely. Here is Walmarts Philips 22" that you might want to take a look at.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-22PFL3504D/14690503#ProductDetail"
Oooh, that does sound good! According to the reviews, it allows you to watch poor signals, which is a concern with my cable, not all channels are clear. The repairman blames the phone company wiring which the cable company had to use to send signals over because the apartment complex would not let them run new wiring. The complex had originally gone with Direct TV and it was so horrible they had to dump it.

Do you find that it let's you watch degraded signals. The new Samsung I bought a few years ago wouldn't allow me to watch a station if it didn't think the picture was perfect. I threw it away.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #7
Evo said:
That is a good value.

Evo Child gave me a new DVD player last Christmas though.

Kurdt said to go with Sony the other day, but he was talking about a very high end one, and I'm not going that big for the bedroom. I was thinking of this, what do you think?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL22BX300/13812459

That's only a 22". I have a 22" monitor just two feet in front of my face, and I'd still like a larger one!

I have a 32" TV I use with a DVD play when I have friends over. It seems too small, these days, but my folks have the same size in their bedroom.

If you're ok with using it for background while going to sleep, it should be just fine, and at a good price, too. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #8
mugaliens said:
That's only a 22". I have a 22" monitor just two feet in front of my face, and I'd still like a larger one!

I have a 32" TV I use with a DVD play when I have friends over. It seems too small, these days, but my folks have the same size in their bedroom.

If you're ok with using it for background while going to sleep, it should be just fine, and at a good price, too. :)
The tv sits next to my computer and is literally 2 feet away.
 
Last edited:
  • #11
Evo said:
The complex had originally gone with Direct TV and it was so horrible they had to dump it.

That's too bad. I've been with DirecTV since they first started operation. And I've loved their service.

I purchased my own receiver and dish way back when and earlier this year they gave me a new receiver at no cost so I could enjoy some of their other interactive features (being a loyal customer and all).

Do you find that it let's you watch degraded signals. The new Samsung I bought a few years ago wouldn't allow me to watch a station if it didn't think the picture was perfect. I threw it away.

I have an outside antenna for my over the air stations (in HD btw) and get all the KC and Topeka stations without even rotating my antenna like I had to do with their analog signals.

I would complain to your complex manager about the bad wiring if you are paying for cable service or it's in the rent agreement.
 
  • #12
Evo said:
Thanks Lacy! maybe I'll drag my feet for another month.

Me too. We will be dragging our feet around the entrance of the store with head and elbow guards on for when they open the door for the killer sale.
Maybe I need a hockey stick. :devil: Oh no! I will use my walker! :cool:
 
  • #14
Is there anything special one needs to know about buying these "new" large screen TV's?
Something that plays DVD's. Small apartment size. Do they go on the wall or stand alone? Are they easy to program? Do you need rabbit ears for them?
 
  • #15
I can't handle being in public, so Black Friday for a loss-leader at Wal-Mart is out. Still, it might be nice to take the opportunity to get rid of this monster Philips CRT TV and the large piece of furniture that houses it.
 
  • #16
It was clear that there were only two choices; the two with the brightest, clearest picture.
Just realize that in department stores the brightness/constant on every TV has been CRANKED up to make them look bright against the harsh fluorescent lighting and will (should at least) not be how you view your television at home.
 
  • #17
minger said:
Just realize that in department stores the brightness/constant on every TV has been CRANKED up to make them look bright against the harsh fluorescent lighting and will (should at least) not be how you view your television at home.
The specifications don't lie. When one says a contrast ratio of 2100:1 and another says 50000:1, it's obvious by looking. The differences that I've seen aren't those that are made by "personal preferences" settings.
 
  • #18
turbo-1 said:
... it might be nice to take the opportunity to get rid of this monster Philips CRT TV and the large piece of furniture that houses it.
Do it. Save energy. And get a great picture.
 
  • #19
Lacy33 said:
Is there anything special one needs to know about buying these "new" large screen TV's?
Something that plays DVD's. Small apartment size. Do they go on the wall or stand alone? Are they easy to program? Do you need rabbit ears for them?

I think the ones that include DVD players are mostly smaller models intended for kitchen counter or desktop use, up to maybe 22" or 26".

Flat screen TVs come with a removable pedestal so you can put them on a small table or equipment stand like I do, or mount them on a wall like a lot of people do.

Wall-mounting isn't practical for us because the wall space in our living room is already "filled" with windows, pictures, furniture, bookshelves and a non-functional fireplace. If we took down a picture or two to make room for a TV, we'd have to mount the TV above eye level which isn't optimal for steady viewing while sitting on the couch.

Also, we'd have to do something about the wires. I have a lot of gadgets feeding the TV (DVD, Blu-ray, HD DVD, a couple of DVRs, DVD recorder, an audio amplifier that feeds a pair of good speakers). They're all in a two-shelf stand next to the fireplace, with the TV on top and the wires more or less hidden behind the stand. Even if you don't have all that stuff, you still need some kind of connection to your antenna or cable TV feed or whatever.

We have an antenna on the roof (two of them actually, one for VHF and one for UHF) because we're in a rural area, a long way from our TV stations' transmitters. If you're close enough, an indoor antenna may work OK. There are lots of variables involved, so no guarantees. Here, we used to be able to pick up a couple of channels with the built-in antenna on our kitchen TV which isn't connected to the roof antenna. The picture was only just barely watchable. Since the analog TV transmitters shut down last year, we can get only one digital channel reliably on that TV. But on the living-room TV with the roof antenna, we can get more channels in digital than we could with analog!
 

Attachments

  • tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

Related to Finding a New TV: Small & Perfect for Bedroom

1. What is the ideal size for a TV in a bedroom?

The ideal size for a TV in a bedroom will vary depending on personal preference and the size of the room. However, a general recommendation is to choose a TV with a screen size between 32-40 inches for a small bedroom.

2. What features should I look for in a small bedroom TV?

When looking for a small bedroom TV, it is important to consider the size, display quality, and connectivity options. A TV with a slim design and good picture quality, as well as options for streaming, gaming, and multiple HDMI ports, may be ideal for a small bedroom.

3. Is it better to choose a smart TV or a regular TV for a small bedroom?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and intended use. A smart TV may be more convenient for streaming and accessing online content, while a regular TV may be better for those who prefer traditional cable or satellite TV options.

4. How much should I expect to spend on a small bedroom TV?

The price of a small bedroom TV can vary greatly depending on the brand, features, and display quality. Generally, you can expect to spend anywhere from $200-$600 for a good quality small bedroom TV.

5. Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for a small bedroom TV?

There are many reputable brands and models that offer small TVs perfect for a bedroom. Some popular options include Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio. It is important to read reviews and compare features to find the best fit for your needs and budget.

Similar threads

Replies
5
Views
707
Replies
2
Views
668
Replies
19
Views
432
Replies
9
Views
718
  • General Discussion
Replies
8
Views
863
Replies
20
Views
1K
Replies
8
Views
1K
  • General Discussion
Replies
2
Views
1K
Replies
6
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
873
Back
Top