Olde tymer needs a new TV - advice

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking to get a new TV and is considering a flat-screen. They do not need a huge one but are open to getting a larger size than their current ~31" tube. They watch DVDs, but not often, and want to keep up with technology. They are expecting to spend around $700, but this may be low. They are considering LCD and plasma options, with LCD being more popular and available in higher resolutions. They have regular old cable and are unsure of the advantages of digital cable. They have a choice between HD and regular sets and are unsure of the difference. They assume it will hook up to their stereo without much trouble. They are wondering about brands and if it is better to stick
At places like Wal-Mart you can still find standard-definition CRT TVs in sizes from about 12 to 20 inches, starting at around $90 or $100.

What I'm looking for now is a cheap digital TV to replace the analog 5" set that my wife uses in the kitchen for the morning news. It doesn't have any external inputs at all, just a single "rabbit ear" antenna. We're in a rural area so it picks up only a couple of channels, which is OK with her... she leaves it tuned to the station that we can get the best signal on. That set cost her about $20.

So far the smallest LCDs that I've seen are about 15" and cost about $250 at Wal-Mart. Even $90 for a CRT is a bit much for this application. But my wife says not to worry... she mainly listens, not watches, so if nothing cheap turns up by next February when the analog set becomes useless, she'll just use a radio instead.

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
At places like Wal-Mart you can still find standard-definition CRT TVs in sizes from about 12 to 20 inches, starting at around $90 or $100.

That was the first place I looked. They had only two 20" models both for about $150.

Cyrus said:
Its worth the price. The resolution is orders of magnitude better than any CRT. You'd be nuts to waste your money on a CRT. It would be like trying to find a VHS or casette tape deck player.

Tell that to my Mom. It just happened yesterday. Her old TV (well, not that old, I bought it several years ago) started to show strange colors, regulation doesn't help. Looks like she may need a new TV, and I will have to pay for it at least three times more that I paid for the one that starts to fail. She has poor eyesight and she will never be able to see the resolution difference between old CRT and new LCD. Money down the drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
You'd be nuts to waste your money on a CRT. It would be like trying to find a VHS or casette tape deck player.

Or for us oldies, a Wire Recorder!

Garth

DaveC426913 said:
OK. Our TV died rather abruptly.
You didn't do this to your TV now, did you?

Gokul43201 said:
You didn't do this to your TV now, did you?

Honestly, if he will be convicted, that'll be stupid. You can kill trespassing burglars (see Joe Horn case) but you can't kill your own lawn mower?

Borek said:
Honestly, if he will be convicted, that'll be stupid. You can kill trespassing burglars (see Joe Horn case) but you can't kill your own lawn mower?
I suppose if he can prove he was defending his family and home from imminent physical danger of harm from the lawnmower :uhh: he can make a case for firing off a weapon that could have killed himself, his mama or a bypasser.

Either way, I'm glad I don't live in a country with people who have your attitude towards guns.

DaveC426913 said:
Either way, I'm glad I don't live in a country with people who have your attitude towards guns.

I think you have read more than I wrote :smile:

Borek said:
I think you have read more than I wrote :smile:
Perhaps.

I assumed your comment meant that you think the man had the right to be shooitng off guns while drunk on his own property. Did I assume incorrectly?