1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a parabola given two x intercepts

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    If you are given (5,0) and (-1,0) as the two x intercepts of a parabola is it possible to find the equation of the parabola? I have tried using the vertex formula for the x co-ordinate which is x = 2 the line of symmetry and plugging in either of these co-ordinates into y = ax^2 + bx + c but have too many unknowns to solve for. Is this unsolvable with only this information?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This is possible only if you are looking for a general parabola; NOT for a specific one. In fact, you need THREE points to establish a specific parabola.

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Only being given the roots of the parabola isn't sufficient enough to compile a specific parabola from it. There are an infinite number of parabolas having those 2 roots, all having different "steepness" and concavity.

e.g.

[tex]y=(x-5)(x+1)[/tex]
    [tex]y=2(5-x)(3x+3)[/tex]

etc.

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4
    Thanks. I suppose if I tried different values for a and b I would come up with different parabolas. Wasn't sure if there was some way with the line of symmetry to determine the y value of the vertex but I realize that there are different options with only two points. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?