1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can really use a hand on finding vertex

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the slandered equation of a parabola that has a vertex axis that satisfies the given condition.
    X intercepts -3 and 5
    Y coordinate 4

2. Relevant equations
    A(x-h)^2+k=y

3. The attempt at a solution
    -4(x-1)^2+4

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what a "slandered" equation is. Do you mean find the "standard" equation of a parabola?

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3

Merlin3189

Gold Member

If you have 3 points, you can make 3 equations, then solve to find the three constants in the parabola equation.

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4
    yes I do

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what you've done here. Your attempt is not an equation. If you know the x-intercepts of the parabola, can't you deduce the standard form of the parabola's equation from that?

7. Jan 30, 2016 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello AstralTao. Welcome to PF !

I have corrected what you posted in the above quote by making my own assumptions.

In your attempt at a solution, what you have given is NOT an equation. I assume you meant y = -4(x-1)2 + 4 . This does not give the correct x-intercepts.

You need to show us how you arrived at that answer, if we are going to be able to help you.

8. Jan 30, 2016 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you really mean that the vertex axis has x intercepts?

9. Jan 31, 2016 #8

Merlin3189

Gold Member

I had taken the original post to mean the parabola with x intercepts -3 and 5, and y intercept 4.
    When Sammy said "y coord of vertex" I wondered if it meant that the maximum of the parabola had y coord = 4.
    This seems to make the arithmetic simpler (than y intercept = 4) especially using that general form of the parabola equation, so maybe that is what was meant.
    I can't remember hearing the term "vertex" used in this context, but it would be a reasonable one to describe the maximum point.
    What a "vertex axis" would be, I don't know. Maybe the vertical line of symmetry through the maximum. But then I'd expect to be told its x value, not its y value. It would obviously have one x intercept at (1,0) but no other intercepts, unless we start talking about the vertex axis intercepting the parabola.

Were I answering the question, I'd just state clearly what I took the question to mean and solve that.

10. Jan 31, 2016 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a parabola had x-intercepts a and b, then its equation is of the form y= A(x- a)(x- b) for some number A. You are given the x-intercepts so all you need to do is find the correct value of A. You say "Y coordinate 4"? The y coordinate of what point? Is that the y-intercept, where x= 0, or the y-coordinate of the vertex?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted