1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a part of an angle with two triangles

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    I've never really understood this bit of trig, I think I get it if there are two parallel angles (parallelogram). But, I do not understand how you go about when the triangles aren't in a parallelogram.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you are talking about! How are these two triangles related? Do you mean two triangles with one side in common, so that they form a quadrilateral with that side as diagonal?

4. Mar 13, 2015 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree w/ Halls. Your question is so vague as to be meaningless. Best would be to draw a diagram of the kind of situation that you are trying to understand.

5. Mar 13, 2015 #4
    Well I'm thinking of two related triangles that share a side. You know part of an angle, and maybe one other angle. Could I just use algebra to solve the missing angle bit?

6. Mar 13, 2015 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to be more precise.

7. Mar 13, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you find it impossible to draw a diagram? As mathman said, you are STILL not telling us what it is you want to know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook