Finding a unitary transformation between two quantum states.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find a unitary transformation between two quantum states represented by large matrices. The suggestion is made to use Mathematica or Numpy Python to solve this problem, and a possible approach is discussed involving the mapping of basis vectors between the two states.
Qubix231
I have to find a unitary transformation that takes me from one quantum state to another (or if there is such a transformation), given the two quantum states in matrix form. The matrices are huge (smallest is 16x16) , so doing it on paper is not an option. Does anyone know how I can do this in Mathematica?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need the explicit transformation? Otherwise you could prove it exists and use it as a general operator.

If you do need it, try to get it to work for smaller examples.

A last question have you googled? Because I suppose if it's got a built in solution you would find loads of info.
If not please do so, good lookup skills are one of the most important things you'll ever learn.

I don't necessarily need to see the matrix form of the unitary, I just have to prove that it does exist, i.e. that my two states are unitarily equivalent. And yep, I did google.

What is your system?
Because in the cases I encountered you can use the strong mathematical formalism to show this.
It can be non-trivial but once you find the solution you often smack yourself in the head.

3 to 6 qubits. (forgot to mention initially that the smallest is 8x8, not 16x16).

It has been a while since I've worked with this. Which is why I took so long to answer.
However you'll need to determine what the Hilbert space is.

That's where my ideas get shaky.
I will refrain from giving information that is likely to have grave errors in it. That way you don't have to unlearn faulty information.

I noticed a mentor to move this to the QM forum where you'll get quality answers.

Thanks JorisL. So if it is of any help, the two matrices are here:

http://pastebin.com/s3B1T0HD

I want to see if there is a unitary (up to some approximation anyway) , that takes me from one matrix to the other. Anyone know how to do this in Mathematica? or Numpy Python ?

If the states are pure, then an operation that transforms between them is just ##M_{b \leftarrow a} = I + \left| b \right\rangle \left\langle a \right|##. To make it unitary just pick some arbitrary other basis vectors to complete the $a$ basis and $b$ basis and add a mapping between them in as well.

If the states are mixed, I guess you'd take the schmidt decomposition then map each schmidt basis vector in ##a## across the basis vectors in ##b## so the coefficients end up matching... but if ##b## is more pure than ##a## then there's likely an obstacle that prevents it from working.

1. What is a unitary transformation in quantum mechanics?

A unitary transformation is a mathematical operation that preserves the inner product of a vector space, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It is used to represent the evolution of a quantum system in time.

2. Why is it important to find a unitary transformation between two quantum states?

It is important to find a unitary transformation because it allows us to relate the initial and final states of a quantum system. This is crucial for understanding the behavior of the system and making predictions about its future evolution.

3. How do you find a unitary transformation between two quantum states?

The most common way to find a unitary transformation between two quantum states is by using a technique called diagonalization. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix that represents the states, and then using them to construct a unitary matrix.

4. Is there always a unique unitary transformation between two quantum states?

No, there is not always a unique unitary transformation between two quantum states. In some cases, there may be multiple unitary transformations that can achieve the same result. However, all of these transformations will have the same overall effect on the system.

5. Can a unitary transformation change the probabilities of measurement outcomes?

No, a unitary transformation does not change the probabilities of measurement outcomes. It only changes the way the states evolve over time. The probabilities of measurement outcomes are determined by the initial state and the measurement process itself.