Finding a volume bounded by a region

In summary: For this problem, you will need to find the x and y coordinates and then use the integral to find the volume.
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

The region bounded by [itex]y=e^-x^2[/itex], y=0, x=0 and x=1 is revolved around the y-axis. Find the volume.

Homework Equations

[itex]V = \int_{a}^{b} R^2 dy[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We must first express x in terms of y. So we get

[itex]\ln y = -x^2[/itex]

[itex]x^2 = -\ln y[/itex]

We substitute this to the above volume equation and we get

[itex]V = \int_{0}^{1} -\ln y[/itex]

And without even doing the integration, I know for a fact that this cannot work out since if you integrate a natural log, you get a natural log back and substituting 0 into a natural log gets you an undefined answer.

I think I did something wrong or set up the problem wrong. Any advice would be appreciated!

Oh and if you know latex, could you tell me how to express y=e^(-x^2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
l46kok said:

Homework Statement

The region bounded by [itex]y=e^-x^2[/itex], y=0, x=0 and x=1 is revolved around the y-axis. Find the volume.

Homework Equations

[itex]V = \int_{a}^{b} R^2 dy[/itex]
This "relevant" equation isn't relevant.
l46kok said:

The Attempt at a Solution

We must first express x in terms of y. So we get

[itex]\ln y = -x^2[/itex]

[itex]x^2 = -\ln y[/itex]

We substitute this to the above volume equation and we get

[itex]V = \int_{0}^{1} -\ln y[/itex]

And without even doing the integration, I know for a fact that this cannot work out since if you integrate a natural log, you get a natural log back and substituting 0 into a natural log gets you an undefined answer.

I think I did something wrong or set up the problem wrong.
Yes. The easiest way to do this problem is to use cylindrical shells.

The relevant equation is
[tex]V = \int_a^b 2\pi~radius * height~dx[/tex]

Here, radius = x, and height = y = e-x2
l46kok said:
Any advice would be appreciated!

Oh and if you know latex, could you tell me how to express y=e^(-x^2)?
Put the exponent in braces:{-x^2}.
[tex]y = e^{-x^2}[/tex]

Just so that I understand, why is it that the cylindrical shell method must be applied here? I was taught that when finding a volume revolved around X or Y axis, the above equation works well except you just have to be careful when you plug in for X or Y.

You could use disks in this problem, but it's more complicated. You will need two integrals to do the problem this way. For y in [0, 1/3], the disks all have a radius of 1. For y in [1/e, 1] the radius of a given disk is the x value on the curve, or +sqrt(-ln(y)).

I should add that in your relevant formula in post 1, pi is missing.

1. How do you find the volume bounded by a region?

The volume bounded by a region can be found by using the formula V = ∫∫∫ dV, where dV represents the volume element and the triple integral is taken over the region bounded by the surface.

2. What is the difference between a bounded and unbounded region?

A bounded region is a finite area with defined boundaries, while an unbounded region extends infinitely in one or more directions without any defined boundaries.

3. Can the volume bounded by a region be negative?

No, the volume bounded by a region is always a positive value. Negative volumes do not have physical meaning in the context of this problem.

4. Is there a specific method to find the volume bounded by a region?

Yes, there are different methods that can be used to find the volume bounded by a region depending on the shape of the region and the available information. These methods include using geometric formulas, integration, and numerical methods.

5. How can the volume bounded by a region be applied in real-world situations?

Finding the volume bounded by a region is a common problem in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to calculate the volume of objects, determine the capacity of containers, and analyze fluid flow in pipes, among other applications.