1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Absolute Uncertainty

1. Aug 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello,

I have solved the problem, but not the way the writer intended. I need help figuring out how they wanted me to do it.

Here's the problem:

The circumference of a sphere is found to be 0.98 m +/- 0.01 m. Calculate the volume and absolute error with five digits to the right of the decimal.

2. Relevant equations
    C = 2∏r
    V = (4/3)∏r3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the low end (.97 m) and high end (.99 m) circumference measurement to solve for two radii. Then I plugged those in to the volume equation and got to volume values: .01541 m3 and .01639 m3. Averaging those volumes I found the final volume to be .01589 m3.

To find the absolute uncertainty I merely subtracted the high end circumference value from the low end one and divided by two.

∴ volume = .01589 m3 +/- .00049 m3.

But my question is, they wanted me to find absolute uncertainty using the following formulas:

Δ[constant]X = [constant]*ΔX to account for constants
    (Δtotal/final value) = |n| * [(ΔX)/X] to find uncertainty values where n is an exponent on A
    ΔX = [(ΔX)/X] * X to convert from relative to absolute error

...where Δ stands for uncertainty

How would I do this?

It seems a lot more confusing for no reason, but would there be any case when I wouldn't be able to use my method and would have to use these formulas?

P.S. Is there anyway to code when writing these? Like I know for some help sites you can input fractions using commands like \frac{num.}{denom.}

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2013 #2
    What does this even mean, "circumference of a sphere"?

As to your question, what exactly is unclear in the formulae given to you?

To see how to enter stuff like ##V = \frac 4 3 \pi r^3 ##, click the quote button.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted