Finding acceleration of block A with friction on incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
aaronfue
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I seem to be having trouble setting up my equations and not getting the correct answer to some of these problems.

Ex 1:
Determine the acceleration of block A when the system is released. The coefficient of friction and the weight of each block are indicated in the figure. Neglect the mass of the pulleys and cords. See attached image.

Homework Equations



m = [itex]\frac{lb}{32.2}[/itex]

So for my first set of equations on block A:
ƩFx = 2T+ μmgcos60° - mgsin60° = ([itex]\frac{lb}{32.2}[/itex])aA

ƩFy = N - mgcos60° = 0
N = mgcos60°

Ff = μ*N = μmgcos60°

Block B:
+[itex]\uparrow[/itex]
ƩFy = T - mg = ([itex]\frac{lb}{32.2}[/itex])aB

Pulley:
aB = -2aA

1. Are my equations correct?
2. Was I correct to use 60°? (I'm sure it is right but...I feel a bit doubtful.)
 
Attachments
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the picture. The angle is 30°.

ehild