Finding an expression for the total mass of a star

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Physics Dad
Messages
54
Reaction score
1
I have made an attempt at the question below and just wanted to check if my thinking was correct or totally wrong.

Thank you in advance!


1. Homework Statement

In a simple model of a star, the density is described as ρ=ρ0(1-r/R), where R is the stellar radius, and ρ0 is the central density.

Find an expression for the total mass of the star M in terms of ρ0 and R.

Homework Equations


Mass Continuity
dM/dr=4πr2ρ(r)

The Attempt at a Solution


First of all, I know that the density of the star will scale with the radius, as will the mass, so I know I will need to integrate with respect to r from r=0 to r=R (from the centre of the star to the stellar radius).

If I place the equation for ρ0 into the equation for mass continuity...

dM/dr=4πr2ρ0(1-r/R)

and then tidy up a little...

dM=4πρ0(r2-r3/R) dr

then integrate from 0 to R...

M=4πρ0(R3/3-R4/4R)

then tidy up to give...

M=(π/3)ρ0R3

And as π/3 is constant, I can say that...

M∝ρ0R3

This seems a little too simplistic, so would really appreciate some feedback.

Thank you all!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a background in astrophysics. But from what is given, your answer is correct.

Nonetheless, your solution have a hidden assumption. Which is that ##\rho_{o}## is independent from ##R##.
In other words, your assumption is that the central density ##\rho_{o}## for all stars being modeled is the same, and so the stars central density independent from their radius ##R##