Finding angle of refraction when light enters glass at 40 degrees

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Oneablegal
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Light of wavelength 600 nm in air enters a piece of glass. The speed of light in this glass is 0.650 times the speed in air. Calculate the angle of refraction, Given that the angle of incidence of this light ray is 40°.

Homework Equations


Snell's Law
Sin(θ1)/sin(θ2) = v1/v2


The Attempt at a Solution



I calculated the wavelength to be 390 nm. (600nm x 0.65). I know the Speed of light in glass is less than an air so light is going to slow down and bend towards the normal, therefore the angle of refraction will be less then the incident 40°. I know the practice problem answer is 24.7 degrees. I need help bridging the gap, so to understand this problem. Please help! Thank you in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Oneablegal! :smile:

First … did you set your calculator to degrees (not radians)? :wink:

(If so, please show how far you've got.)
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Oneablegal! :smile:

First … did you set your calculator to degrees (not radians)? :wink:

(If so, please show how far you've got.)
Hi! Yes, the calculator is set to degrees. This is as far as I have gotten. I have tried to set this up numerous times, with angle 1 set equal to sin(40) or 0.745113. Angle 2 or the angle of refraction is unknown. V1 I have as 1.00 and V2 as 0.65. I am lost from here...

Thanks again!
 
Last edited:
Hi Oneablegal! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
Oneablegal said:
Hi! Yes, the calculator is set to degrees.

…with angle 1 set equal to sin(40) or 0.745113

he he! :biggrin:

No it isn't!

sin(40 radians) = 0.745113 :wink:​