Finding arc length of a curved bar from chord length and radius

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Con Air
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hello! I've run into a problem at work and need a quick solution! Basically I need to work out the cut size of a curved bar. I have the chord length (650mm) and the radius' (1335mm) Obviously i need to calculate the inner most angle, then multiply my diameter by pi, divide by 360 then multiply by my new found angle to find arc length



Homework Equations



Cosine rule A=b[itex]^{2}[/itex]+c[itex]^{2}[/itex]-a[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]/[/itex]2bc

C=∏d





The Attempt at a Solution




obviously c and b are both equal at 1335mm. so the triangle becomes isosceles


Arc length = ∏x2670/360 x (1335[itex]^{2}[/itex]+1335[itex]^{2}[/itex]- 650[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2x1335x1335)[itex]^{cos-1}[/itex]

this equation leaves us at 28.17°

then (2670x∏/360)x28.17=656mm


Only 6mm gain on the arc? is this normal? please help!


many thanks, connor.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks very much, I've never applied that sort of trigonometry to my work before, i was abit unsure! thanks very much for your help.