Finding average acceleration over an time interal

In summary, the object moves with a constant acceleration of 0.52 m/s/s over the entire interval described. This is found by adding the total distance traveled in both intervals and dividing by the total time, and then subtracting the initial velocity from the final velocity and dividing by the total time.
lazyboi605

Homework Statement

An object moving with a constant acceleration travels 13 m in 7.8 s. The acceleration is then changed and the object covers an additional 34 m in 1.7 s. What is the average acceleration of the object over the entire interval described?

Homework Equations

Xf1 = 1/2(vo +vf)t
a=(vo +vf)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

vf1 =2(13)/7.8
vo =2(34)(1.7) - 44.2
a = (115.6-44.2)9.5

im not sure how to solve this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
take it back to orginial equation... you can not break down like that...
here is my answer for you: 0.52m/s/s (starting at 0)
however please consider the starting speed...

can you show me what equation u used?

lol, this has nothing to do with acceleration equation...
you just simply add 2 total distance together and divid them by total time to get average v, then v/t=a

if u add the total distance and time, you only get an average velocity of one interval. The motion changes velocity.

do you mean average accerleration over entire time or something else? i am not quit getting it...

average acceleration over the entire interval

then my answer should be right...

you said average...

i solved it. by finding the first velocity d/t. then the second velocity is 2(d2/t2) - v1. then acceleration is vf - vo over time

dude i told you...

1. What is average acceleration over a time interval?

Average acceleration over a time interval is the change in velocity divided by the change in time. It measures how much an object's velocity changes on average during a specific period of time.

2. How do you calculate average acceleration over a time interval?

To calculate average acceleration over a time interval, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and the time interval. The formula for average acceleration is (final velocity - initial velocity) / time interval.

3. What units are used to measure average acceleration?

Average acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or decelerating during the time interval.

5. Why is average acceleration important?

Average acceleration is important because it helps us understand how an object's velocity changes over a specific period of time. It is also a key concept in physics and is used to describe the motion of objects in many real-world scenarios.