How to find an average acceleration using an average velocity?

• Thread starter Cacti
  • Start date
Homework Statement:
Calculate the average acceleration for each member over the first 10.0 m.
Relevant Equations:
None given
I calculated the average velocity in a previous problem and got 1.146788991m/s over a time of 8.72s. I know I can’t use a_ave=(Vf-Vi)/(Tf-Ti) because I don’t know the final velocity and have no way to find it. Do I multiply average velocity by time?

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Homework Statement: Calculate the average acceleration for each member over the first 10.0 m.
Homework Equations: None given

I calculated the average velocity in a previous problem and got 1.146788991m/s over a time of 8.72s. I know I can’t use a_ave=(Vf-Vi)/(Tf-Ti) because I don’t know the final velocity and have no way to find it. Do I multiply average velocity by time?
Please post the full problem so that we can see what data you have available.

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The full problem statement is necessary. For one thing, there is a difference between "average" over time versus "average" over distance.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Do I multiply average velocity by time?
Not if you are looking for something that has dimensions of acceleration.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Maybe average velocity= (Vf - Vi)/2?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Homework Statement: Calculate the average acceleration for each member over the first 10.0 m.
Homework Equations: None given

The rule of the HW forum is that you post the full statement of the problem, not just snippets of it.

Zz.