Finding Axial Forces in a Truss to Solving for BC, BD, and BE

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
Isimanica
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


1154516.jpg

The truss shown is part of an
airplane’s internal structure.
Determine the axial forces in
members BC, BD, and BE.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Ok I am trying to figure out how or where to divide this truss up and forces to draw when I do. I don't know where to cut to get started.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First determine the support reactions. Then identify zero force members. Then use method of joints or sections to solve for the member forces.
 
So I should divide right down the middle of CE and BD correct?
And that the the two forces reacting at B the x force is also the force of BD, that they are one and the same.
 
Isimanica said:
So I should divide right down the middle of CE and BD correct?
And that the the two forces reacting at B the x force is also the force of BD, that they are one and the same.
You should first determine the force reactions and zero force members before cutting sections. Then, if you prefer the method of sections over the method of joints, you can do the cut as you described and sum moments about appropriate points in the appropriate free body diagram, to solve for the unknown forces in members BE and BD.