Finding center of mass and torque for a bent uniform wire

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Uniform Wire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Tom McCurdy
Messages
1,021
Reaction score
1
Problem here:
http://www.quantumninja.com/hw/random/problem4.jpg

I was trying to figure out how to go about this problem. So far I have come up with

center of mass=
[tex]\frac{L}{4}cos\frac{\beta}{2}[/tex]

Torque=t
[tex]\sum t=I\alpha[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure this is right
[tex]cm = \frac{L}{4}cos\frac{\beta}{2}[/tex]
If [itex]\beta[/itex] goes to zero then the cos will go to one and you will be left with [itex]\frac{L}{4}[/itex] which does not seem right to me for a stright rod.
 
Actually maybe it would be
L/4*cos(b/2)+L/2
center of mass
[tex]\frac{L}{4}cos\frac{b}{2}+\frac{L}{2}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I am sorry you are right. If beta goes to zero the rod becomes lengh of L/2 and the center of mass would the be a L/4.