Center of mass of a uniform wire

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with understanding the orientation and arrangement of two pieces of wire that make an angle of 60° with each other. The question also mentions the center of mass lying below point A and the possibility of it being a two-dimensional problem. The solution involves treating the two pieces of wire separately and finding their individual centers of mass before calculating the overall center of mass of the combination. The conversation also includes a clarification that the problem is not three-dimensional, which helps in solving the problem.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

wire.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble understanding the setup as well as how to approach this problem .

I am not understanding the orientation of the two pieces of the wire .

They make angle 60° with each other , but then what does it mean when the question states that the center of mass lies below A ?

How are the two pieces of wires arranged ?

Attachments

• wire.png
    wire.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,959
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that is a two-dimensional problem. Neglect the wire BC in the first place. Where, by means of a horizontal axis and the length AB, the center of mass of the inclined wire AB would be located?

Likes Jahnavi
Jahnavi said:
I am not understanding the orientation of the two pieces of the wire .
Looks to me like a wire that's just bent at point B at the given angle.

Jahnavi said:
They make angle 60° with each other , but then what does it mean when the question states that the center of mass lies below A ?
Consider the horizontal component of the center of mass. Express that mathematically and you can solve for the quantity asked for.

Likes Jahnavi
Hint: Treat pieces BC and BA separately. Where are their centers of mass? Then find the center of mass of the combination.

stockzahn said:
I suppose that is a two-dimensional problem.
Doc Al said:
Looks to me like a wire that's just bent at point B at the given angle.

Sorry ! I was wrongly interpreting this as a 3 -dimensional problem . I was considering the center of mass to be below the plane formed by the two pieces of wires .

Thanks for the clarification . I think I should now be able to solve the problem .

1. What is the concept of center of mass for a uniform wire?

The center of mass for a uniform wire is the point where the entire mass of the wire can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which the wire would balance if it were placed on a fulcrum.

2. How is the center of mass of a uniform wire calculated?

The center of mass of a uniform wire can be calculated by finding the average position of all the individual particles that make up the wire. This is done by taking into account the position and mass of each particle and using the formula:
Center of Mass = (Σmiri) / (Σmi) where mi is the mass of each particle and ri is its position along the wire.

3. Why is the concept of center of mass important for a uniform wire?

The concept of center of mass is important for a uniform wire because it helps us understand how the wire behaves when subjected to external forces. It also helps in determining the equilibrium position of the wire and predicting its motion. Additionally, knowing the center of mass is crucial in designing structures or machines that use uniform wires, as it helps ensure stability and balance.

4. Can the center of mass of a uniform wire be located outside the physical boundaries of the wire?

Yes, the center of mass of a uniform wire can be located outside the physical boundaries of the wire. This can happen if the wire has a non-uniform mass distribution, with more mass concentrated at one end. In this case, the center of mass will be closer to the end with higher mass, and may even lie outside the wire.

5. How does the center of mass of a uniform wire change if the wire is bent or twisted?

If a uniform wire is bent or twisted, the position of its center of mass may change depending on the degree and direction of the bending or twisting. However, the total mass of the wire remains the same, so the center of mass will still be located along the wire. The calculation of the center of mass will need to take into account the new positions and masses of the particles after the bending or twisting.