Center of mass of a uniform wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Jahnavi
Messages
848
Reaction score
102

Homework Statement



wire.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I am having trouble understanding the setup as well as how to approach this problem .

I am not understanding the orientation of the two pieces of the wire .

They make angle 60° with each other , but then what does it mean when the question states that the center of mass lies below A ?

How are the two pieces of wires arranged ?
 
Attachments
  • wire.png
    wire.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 2,113
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that is a two-dimensional problem. Neglect the wire BC in the first place. Where, by means of a horizontal axis and the length AB, the center of mass of the inclined wire AB would be located?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jahnavi
Jahnavi said:
I am not understanding the orientation of the two pieces of the wire .
Looks to me like a wire that's just bent at point B at the given angle.

Jahnavi said:
They make angle 60° with each other , but then what does it mean when the question states that the center of mass lies below A ?
Consider the horizontal component of the center of mass. Express that mathematically and you can solve for the quantity asked for.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jahnavi
Hint: Treat pieces BC and BA separately. Where are their centers of mass? Then find the center of mass of the combination.
 
stockzahn said:
I suppose that is a two-dimensional problem.
Doc Al said:
Looks to me like a wire that's just bent at point B at the given angle.

Sorry ! I was wrongly interpreting this as a 3 -dimensional problem . I was considering the center of mass to be below the plane formed by the two pieces of wires .

Thanks for the clarification . I think I should now be able to solve the problem .