1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding coefficient of fuzzy block and dynamics cart.

1. Jul 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the coefficient of friction between a fuzzy block and dynamics cart?
    This is a Lab task so I have all the materials but I don't know where to start.

2. Relevant equations
    u=ff/fn
    uk=fk/fn
    us=fs/fn

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the formulas but i dont have any of the variables exept fn which is the magnitude of the normal force to an object and so since an object is perpindicular to the surface it is 9.8m/s^2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Are you allowed to just find the coefficient experimentally, or do you need to calculate/estimate it before doing any experiments?

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3
    I'm doing it experimentally,I dont have to calculate or estimate anything.

5. Jul 14, 2011 #4

berkeman

Do you know the simple way to use a ramp and object to find the coefficients of friction?

6. Jul 14, 2011 #5
    umm no.. enlighten me

7. Jul 14, 2011 #6

berkeman

Well, this is your assignment, so you need to do the bulk of the work (per the PF rules link at the top of the page).

You've been given the hint that there is an easy way to find one or both of the coefficients of friction between an object and an inclined plane. See if you can use Google to get more hints, or think about the definition of mu....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook