Finding Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Horizontal Force on a Wooden Desk

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
temaire
Messages
275
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A horizontal force of 50 N is required to pull and 8.0 kg block at a unifrom velocity across a horizontal wooden desk. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction.


Homework Equations


[tex]F_{Net}[/tex]=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


I put [tex]F_{Net}[/tex] as 0, because acceleration is 0. By doing this, I get the applied force and the force of friction both as 50, but I don't think that its right. By the way, the answer to the question is 0.64.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in finding that the force applied is equal to the kinetic friction, but you need another formula to relate the frictional force to the coefficient of friction.
 
Friction Force = (Coefficient of friction)*(Normal force)