Finding coefficients from equation

In summary, the conversation is about an engineering student seeking help with a math problem involving estimating coefficients for a data set in the form of y=ax^b. The suggested method is to use least squares and logarithms to solve the equation, and the student was able to determine the answer using both methods.
bossler
Hello,
I am stuck on a math problem for one of my engineering courses which seems fairly straight forward, but I have had little success with. The problem reads as follows:
The following data has the form y=ax^b. Estimate the coefficients a+b.
Given data:
Y X
1: (0.0014) (0.5)
2: (0.0251) (2)
3: (0.153) (5)
4: (0.6371) (10)

What I was trying to do was plug in the first set of values and solve the equation for one coefficient in terms of the other. Then I would take the second set of data and plug my answer in, giving me like terms. If someone could explain to me the process of solving this equation I would really appreciate it
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Log y = Log a + b Log x

Use least squares to estimate Log a and b.

The problem does not ask you to FIND the coefficients, it asks you to ESTIMATE them. Putting x and y equal to each pair of given numbers into y= axb gives you an equation for a and b. You should only need two equations but you have four and probably can't find a single a and b that will satisfy all four.

From the "extreme" pairs, 0.0014= a (0.5)b and .6731= a 10b. Dividing the second by the first eliminates a: .6731/.0014= 0.5b/10b which is the same as 480= (1/20)b= 20-b. As EnumaElish said, you will need to use logarithms to solve that.

(Thanks to TheoMcCloskey for noting my error. I had started to use the first two points and didn't complete change when I decided to use first and last.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hall's - I think you better review your response - it needs some corrections.

Thank you for the help. I was able to determine the answer both algebraically and on my calculator

1. How do I find coefficients from an equation?

To find coefficients from an equation, you can either use the method of substitution, elimination or graphing. These methods involve solving the equation for one variable in terms of the other and then plugging in known values to solve for the coefficients.

2. Can I find coefficients from a non-linear equation?

Yes, you can find coefficients from a non-linear equation. However, the process may be more complex and may involve using advanced mathematical techniques such as calculus or matrix algebra.

3. What are the applications of finding coefficients from an equation?

Finding coefficients from an equation is useful in various fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics. It helps in understanding the relationship between different variables and predicting the behavior of a system.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding coefficients from an equation?

No, there is no specific formula for finding coefficients from an equation. The method used may vary depending on the type of equation and the number of variables involved.

5. Can I use a calculator to find coefficients from an equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find coefficients from an equation. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and methods before relying solely on a calculator to solve equations.