1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding coordinates of a point in a circle with angle

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    I have a point (x,y), a distance (d) and an angle (a). I need a method to find a point using x,y,d and a. For example:
    [​IMG]
    I will apply this on a 3D environment, but I am not going to use the 3rd dimension so it's safe.
    This is also about programming, but I am capable of applying methods in the programming language so I asked it here.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2
    [tex]
    (x_?,y_?) = (x+d\cos\alpha,y+d\sin\alpha)
    [/tex]

4. Aug 3, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the answer, but I have a problem. I wrote some code to put this in action. The code starts from "0" and adds "20" to the angle until the vaule is greater than to "360". I don't know why but the code produced this:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see there are some mistakes. All are getting repeated but the ones I marked. Here is the debug output I get:
    As you can see some values are too close. I am really bad at trigonometry, so I can't find the problem.

5. Aug 3, 2008 #4
    The center is at (-49, -1082) and your first point, with the angle, 0 is at
    (51, -1082) then radius, d, is 100.

So, when the angle is 20 the point should be
    [tex]100(\cos(20)) + -49 \approx 45[/tex]
    [tex]100(\sin(20))+ -1082 \approx -1048[/tex]

But you have:

Drawing at (-8.204959, -991.151611) Angle is 20.000000

*Could you be in radians instead of degrees?

6. Aug 3, 2008 #5
    Ah, you are right! I was making calculations with radians.

Thank you both so much! I was trying to figure this out for two days! Normally I post my questions to forums related to coding or just ask my friends, but can't get an answer :D

7. Aug 3, 2008 #6
    Always a problem if you forget. When I get errors like that, the first thing I do is to check the mode on my calculator. Lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?