Finding Coordinates with same gradient

In summary, TheAkuma does not know how to find the equation of a line that passes through two points with the same gradient.
TheAkuma
Okay, I have two points on my graph - (-2,72) and (0,64). Here is the question on my assignment - "Find another two points on your curve which have the same gradient as those in Parts 3 and 4 and find the equations of the tangents to the curve at these points."
The problem I have is I don't know any methods that will find a point with the same gradient. I can do the rest of the question, but I can't find the points as my teacher never showed me how to.

I could find it by trial and error - By picking a number on the x-axis and do some number crunching. But that would take ages and my draft is due like tomorrow!:eek:

I got those first two points by using this method -
1.) Sub value of "x" into equation y=x blah blah blah... (which would give me the y value)
2.) Sub value of "x" into the derivative to get the gradient
3.) Put all the variables into the equation y=mx+c to show the equation of the tangent at x=blah blah blah

If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated as my assignment is due tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you are given two points, you can find the equation of the line passing through those two points, y=mx+c and then you can pick any x value to find the corresponding y value to get one point on the line.

But you said tangents to a curve, so I am not sure I am understanding your dilemma properly.

rock.freak667 said:
Well if you are given two points, you can find the equation of the line passing through those two points, y=mx+c and then you can pick any x value to find the corresponding y value to get one point on the line.

But you said tangents to a curve, so I am not sure I am understanding your dilemma properly.

I honestly don't know either. I'm suppose to find two points with the same gradient as the ones I got. In the next question, I'm suppose to connect the coordinates to make a parallelogram or just a four sided figure. But it says they have to have the same gradient. The equation I'm using is y=x3-4x2-16x+64 if that helps.

well in that case gradient at (-2,72)=m (you found m)

dy/dx = m you will get two x values.

Do the same for the next point (0,64)

rock.freak667 said:
well in that case gradient at (-2,72)=m (you found m)

dy/dx = m you will get two x values.

Do the same for the next point (0,64)

Oh yeah! that dy/dx stuff. I never really understood it although I wrote like 4 pages worth of notes on the stuff. I'll go look back at them and see if I can solve it. Thanks:cool:

Damn it! Hey, I don't know how to work it out. There is nothing like that in my notes. The gradient for (-2,72) is 12. Can you at least tell me the method when using that dx/dy stuff please?

don't worry about it. I learned how to do it by adding the gradient to the derivative of the quadtratic formula then factorizing it. I got two "x" values, the original and the new one. Anyway, thanks for all your help. I'll try and contribute as much as I can to physics forums.

Step 1: Determine the Gradient of your function.
Step 2: Evaluate the Gradient at the given points.
Step 3: Find the set of all points whose gradient is the same value (i.e. set the gradient equal to the values given above and solve for possible values of x. You need only produce one, but it is a good idea to try and describe each of them, if possible.)

Now, the gradient is perpendicular to the level surfaces of your original function. Hence the tangent line should be perpendicular to your gradient. It is easy to find an equation for the line if you know a vector that is perpendicular to the line.

CaffeineJunky said:
Step 1: Determine the Gradient of your function.
Step 2: Evaluate the Gradient at the given points.
Step 3: Find the set of all points whose gradient is the same value (i.e. set the gradient equal to the values given above and solve for possible values of x. You need only produce one, but it is a good idea to try and describe each of them, if possible.)

Now, the gradient is perpendicular to the level surfaces of your original function. Hence the tangent line should be perpendicular to your gradient. It is easy to find an equation for the line if you know a vector that is perpendicular to the line.
My guess is that by "gradient" TheAkuma really means the slope of a function of one variable. If that's the case, the advice about gradient and level curves is overkill, especially given that he posted this problem in the Precalc forum.

Mark44 said:
My guess is that by "gradient" TheAkuma really means the slope of a function of one variable. If that's the case, the advice about gradient and level curves is overkill, especially given that he posted this problem in the Precalc forum.

Oops. Sorry about that, I just didn't know where to post it.

I apologize for that, I didn't realize that this was the pre-calculus forum until after I posted that. Either way, it seems kind of awkward to use gradient in place of slope when talking about functions of a single variable. Disregard my post.

1. What is the definition of "gradient" in terms of coordinates?

The gradient of a set of coordinates refers to the rate of change of the coordinates along a given direction. It is essentially a measure of how steep or flat a line is in a coordinate plane.

2. How do you find coordinates with the same gradient?

To find coordinates with the same gradient, you can use the slope formula (m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1)) to calculate the gradient of two different points. If the gradient values are equal, then the coordinates have the same gradient.

3. Can coordinates with the same gradient have different values?

Yes, coordinates with the same gradient can have different values. As long as the ratio of the change in y-coordinates to the change in x-coordinates is the same, the gradient will be equal.

4. Is it possible for a line to have multiple coordinates with the same gradient?

Yes, it is possible for a line to have multiple coordinates with the same gradient. This means that there are multiple points on the line that have the same steepness or flatness.

5. How can finding coordinates with the same gradient be useful in real-world applications?

Finding coordinates with the same gradient is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and geography. It can help in determining the direction and rate of change in a system, which can then be used to make predictions and solve problems.