Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding cos in radians without calculator? Help?

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    Hey guys this question is gonna sound pretty dumb, but I never learned how to do this. What if I want to find say, cos(pi/5) but I don't have a calculator? Even if I did have a calculator, I want it in nice values, like square roots, rather than decimals anyway.

If I have something like cos(pi/8) I think I know how to find something like that using double angle formula cos(2x)=2cos2x-1, because I know the value of cos(4pi) and cos(2pi), but when I have an odd value I'm stuck at what to do.

Is there any simple algorithmic process I can use? Someone mentioned to me about finding complex roots, but I'm not sure how that works?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This wiki article might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_trigonometric_constants
    It shows how to find things like [itex]\cos(\pi/5)[/itex] using geometry.

Note that it is not always possible to find explicit value of cosines. For exampe, the innocent looking [itex]\cos(\pi/9)[/itex] cannot be explicitely found using elementary operations and roots (unless I'm being stupid right now).

4. Nov 5, 2012 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, pi/5 lies between pi/4 and pi/6, doesn't it?
    The midpoint between these to latter values is 5pi/24 which is slightly greater than pi/5

calculating the relevant values of sine and cosine for 5pi/24, you may find the midpoint between 5pi/24 and pi/6, which is 9pi/48, somewhat less than pi/5
    (And then, the midpoint between 5pi/24 and 9pi/48 is 19pi/96, very close to, but slightly less than pi/5)

And so on.

Utilizing this bisection method and the half-angle formula, you can eke yourself towards the answer.

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You could use cos(3θ) = 4cos3(θ) - 3cos(θ). Writing [itex]θ=\pi/9[/itex] gives you a cubic to solve.

6. Nov 5, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Right. Thank you. I was thinking of the fact that the 9-gon wasn't constructible, but it is of course wrong to deduce from that that it can't be written with roots. It is clear that [itex]\cos(\pi/n)[/itex] is always algebraic, but when can it be written using radicals?? Since the Galois group of the n-th root of unity is abelian, it can always be expressed using radicals. Nice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook