Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding sin and cos without using calculator

1. Oct 9, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone.
    i think this is my last thread on PF:frown:!!
    because i am too busy,anyway,
    4 months ago i posted a thread named it finding cube roots without using calculator and now i want to know if there is a way or method to find sin and cos without using calculator.
    And thanks to all who helped me in all of my questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2015 #2
    You can get as close as you want by using a Taylor series.

[tex]\sin(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!} - \ ...[/tex]

[tex]\cos(x) = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} - \ ...[/tex]

This works well for [itex]x[/itex] near [itex]0[/itex]. Just cut it off at however many terms you want depending on how accurate you want it. You could use a more general form for the functions starting at any [itex]x = a[/itex], but given their periodicity, it seems the simplified would work fine. The only issue then is adding up some fractions.

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe you can use a Taylor series to evaluate a trig function without pressing the sin x or cos x keys on a calculator, but I think actually evaluating the Taylor series without using the other calculator functions will get a bit tedious, especially as you add more terms to the evaluation.

5. Oct 10, 2015 #4
    should i have a Calculator function to evaluate taylor series??

6. Oct 10, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. And your calculator wouldn't use Taylor series to calculate the value of sin x or cos x, either. The Taylor series is slow to converge, and calculators with built-in trig functions use different methods to calculate their values.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC

7. Oct 10, 2015 #6
    What came to my mind when you said that was draw out a triangle with the angle you want to measure and then divide the hypothenuse by the adjacent for cos and the opposite for sin??

8. Oct 10, 2015 #7
    This is similar to what SteamKing wrote. The ##\cos z## and ##\sin z## functions respectively are just real and imaginary parts of ##e^{iz}##. We can calculate the sine and cosine functions (in radians) by calculating the real and imaginary parts of the series,

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {\frac{(-1)^{\frac{n}{2}} z^n}{n!}} [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook