Finding current density given B-field

In summary: Thank you ehild! :smile:In summary, the current density as a function of distance ##r## from the axis of a radially symmetrical parallel stream of electrons can be found by integrating the expression ##(a+1)br^{a-1}## with respect to ##r##, where ##b## and ##a## are positive constants.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Find the current density as a function of distance ##r## from the axis of a radially symmetrical parallel stream of electrons if the magnetic induction inside the stream varies as ##B=br^a##, where ##b## and ##a## are positive constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I don't have any idea for this problem. I don't see any equations in my notes which relates the B-field and current density.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:
I don't see any equations in my notes which relates the B-field and current density.
No, but I'm sure you have an equation for the field based on the current in a wire. Won't it just be a matter of integrating the density, viewed as many wire elements?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
No, but I'm sure you have an equation for the field based on the current in a wire. Won't it just be a matter of integrating the density, viewed as many wire elements?

Ampere's circuital law?

[tex]\int \textbf{B}\cdot d\textbf{l} = \mu_o\int \textbf{J} \cdot d\textbf{S}[/tex]
What should I replace dl with? ##2\pi r##?

Pranav-Arora said:
Ampere's circuital law?

[tex]\int \textbf{B}\cdot d\textbf{l} = \mu_o\int \textbf{J} \cdot d\textbf{S}[/tex]
What should I replace dl with? ##2\pi r##?

Because of radial symmetry, the vector B is tangential to the circles around the axis and its magnitude depends only on the distance from the axis. dl=rdθ and yes, the line integral is B(2πr).

ehild

ehild said:
Because of radial symmetry, the vector B is tangential to the circles around the axis and its magnitude depends only on the distance from the axis. dl=rdθ and yes, the line integral is B(2πr).

ehild

That gives me
[tex]2\pi b r^{a+1}=\mu_o \int \textbf{J} \cdot d\textbf{S}[/tex]
Is ##dS=2\pi rdr##?

And how am I supposed to solve the above equation? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
That gives me
[tex]2\pi b r^{a+1}=\mu_o \int \textbf{J} \cdot d\textbf{S}[/tex]
Is ##dS=2\pi rdr##?

And how am I supposed to solve the above equation? :confused:

Plug in the expression for dS. The integral is valid for all r. You get an equation of form f(r)=0r∫g(r')dr'. How do you get g(r)?

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Plug in the expression for dS. The integral is valid for all r. You get an equation of form f(r)=0r∫g(r')dr'. How do you get g(r)?

ehild

Thank you ehild! :smile:

I get
[tex]br^{a+1}=\int_0^{r}\textbf{J}rdr[/tex]
Differentiating both the sides,
[tex]\Rightarrow (a+1)br^{a}=\textbf{J}r[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \textbf{J}=(a+1)br^{a-1}[/tex]

1. How is current density related to the magnetic field?

The current density is directly proportional to the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the current density also increases, and vice versa.

2. What is the formula for finding current density given the magnetic field?

The formula for finding current density (J) given the magnetic field (B) is J = σB, where σ is the conductivity of the material. This formula is known as the Ohm's law for current density.

3. Can current density be negative?

Yes, current density can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the current flow is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How is current density measured?

Current density is measured in units of amperes per square meter (A/m²) or amperes per square centimeter (A/cm²). It can be measured using a variety of techniques such as Hall effect sensors, magnetic field probes, or current density imaging methods.

5. How does current density affect the magnetic field?

Current density is one of the factors that determine the strength of the magnetic field. A higher current density results in a stronger magnetic field, while a lower current density results in a weaker magnetic field. This relationship is described by Ampere's law.