Surface Current and Electric Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the surface charge and current density of two infinite sheets of ideal conductive material. The person asking the question has tried using the integral Gauss law in 2 dimensions and the derivative version, but has not been successful. They are now considering the possibility of the electric field being caused by a propagating electromagnetic wave.
BnayaMeir
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new in this forum, I found the topics here very relevant to my physics course. And here is my question:

Given the following drawing, two infinite sheets (in y and z axis) of ideal conductive material. their thickness is infinitesimal (dx->0).

Screenshot 2022-04-26 152843.png

The electric field is defined:

Screenshot 2022-04-26 160051.png

I have askes to find the surface charge and current density.

well.. I tried to apply the integral gauss law
1650978402507.png
but in 2 dimensions (didn't work).
I have also tries the derivative version of the law
1650978512678.png
which gave me zero. it looks right for me, since the electric field should be perpendicular to the surface. but the only electric field is parallel to the surfaces. Then where this field is come from?? I'm very confused..

I thought to find the current density after finding the charge density by the following equation in 2-D:
1650978895539.png

I hope you will be able to help me, thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered that this could be the electric field of a propagating electromagnetic wave?

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is a surface current?

A surface current is a flow of electric charge that occurs along the surface of a conductor, such as a metal wire or a metal plate. It is caused by the movement of free electrons within the conductor in response to an applied electric field.

2. How is surface current different from bulk current?

Surface current is limited to the surface of a conductor, while bulk current flows through the entire volume of the conductor. Surface current is also typically higher in magnitude compared to bulk current due to the concentration of charge at the surface.

3. What factors affect the strength of a surface current?

The strength of a surface current is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied electric field, the conductivity of the material, and the geometry of the conductor. A higher electric field, higher conductivity, and smaller conductor cross-section will result in a stronger surface current.

4. How does a surface current create an electric field?

A surface current creates an electric field through the movement of charged particles. As the electrons move along the surface of the conductor, they create a disturbance in the electric field, leading to the formation of an electric field around the conductor.

5. What are some real-world applications of surface current and electric fields?

Surface current and electric fields have various applications, including powering electronic devices, transmitting signals through conductive materials, and creating magnetic fields for motors and generators. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in scientific research to study the behavior of charged particles.