Finding Current given kilo-ohms and volt

In summary, the question asks for the current in a 46 kilo ohm resistor with 150V across it, and the answer must be in Amperes. Using Ohm's Law (R = V/I), converting 46 kilo ohms to ohms (46,000 ohms), and dividing 150V by 46,000 ohms, the answer is 3.3×10^−3 Amperes. This answer must also be expressed with the correct number of significant digits, which is 3 in this case.
warnexus

Homework Statement

What is the current in a 46 kilo ohm resistor with 150V across it?

Given : 46 Kilo ohms
150 V

Answers has to be in Amperes

Homework Equations

Use Ohm's Law R = (V/I)

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the kilo ohms back to ohms so 46 * 10 ^ 3 is 46,000 ohms. Divide 150 by 46,000 ohms and I get .003 as the answer. This answer is absurd but I converted the kilo ohms to ohms. I don't see where I went wrong. Seems like an easy question. =/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the answer you got is wrong?

All of my answers from my Physics homework usually have a few digits before the decimal. This cannot be right.

warnexus said:

Homework Statement

What is the current in a 46 kilo ohm resistor with 150V across it?

Given : 46 Kilo ohms
150 V

Homework Equations

Use Ohm's Law R = (V/I)

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the kilo ohms back to ohms so 46 * 10 ^ 3 is 46,000 ohms. Divide 150 by 46,000 ohms and I get .003 as the answer. This answer is absurd but I converted the kilo ohms to ohms. I don't see where I went wrong. Seems like an easy question. =/
What are the units for your answer?

Why not give the answer in milliamperes ?

Don't forget sig. figs.

SammyS said:
What are the units for your answer?

Why not give the answer in milliamperes ?

Don't forget sig. figs.

Answer has to be in Amperes

warnexus said:
Answer has to be in Amperes
Then you do get an answer that's a small fraction of 1 Ampere.

SammyS said:
Then you do get an answer that's a small fraction of 1 Ampere.

i keep getting .003 from my calculcation and my online homework website says its not correct.

answer is 3.3×10^−3 amperes

warnexus said:
answer is 3.3×10^−3 amperes

Significant Digits / Significant Figures.

1. What is the relationship between current, kilo-ohms, and voltage?

The relationship between current, kilo-ohms, and voltage is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

2. How do you calculate current given kilo-ohms and voltage?

To calculate current, you can use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. If the resistance value is given in kilo-ohms, you will need to convert it to ohms by multiplying by 1000 before plugging it into the formula.

3. Can current and voltage be directly measured in kilo-ohms?

No, current and voltage are measured in different units. Current is measured in amps, while voltage is measured in volts. Kilo-ohms is a unit of resistance, not current or voltage.

4. How does the value of kilo-ohms affect the current?

The value of kilo-ohms, or resistance, directly affects the current. As resistance increases, current decreases according to Ohm's Law. This means that a higher resistance value in kilo-ohms will result in a lower current, and vice versa.

5. Is there a maximum current that can be achieved with a given voltage and kilo-ohm value?

Yes, there is a maximum current that can be achieved with a given voltage and kilo-ohm value. This is determined by the resistance and the applied voltage. If the resistance is too high, the current will be limited and will not reach its maximum potential. Similarly, if the voltage is too low, the current will also be limited. It is important to have the appropriate balance between voltage and resistance in order to achieve the desired current.