1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding current using Kirchhoff's circuit rules

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Nt0Cm.png

2. Relevant equations

Kirchhoff's loop rule and (maybe) Kirchhoff's current law

3. The attempt at a solution

So I attempted to apply Kirchhoff's loop rule to the circuit, and ended up with a system of linear equations:

24 - 6I[itex]_{1}[/itex] - 3I[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2I[itex]_{1}[/itex] - I[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 8
    36 - 6I[itex]_{1}[/itex] - 6I[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] I[itex]_{1}[/itex] + I[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 6
    12 - 3I[itex]_{3}[/itex] - 6I[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2I[itex]_{2}[/itex] + I[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 4

but every time I try to solve it, I end up with everything dropping out. I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but I've been banging my head against this one for about 4 hours now, so any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the signs.
    You also have a relation between the currents. (Nodal Law) Use that and two loop equations.

ehild

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. Oct 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks, that makes more sense now.

I might have eventually realized that my system was cancelling out because it was using mutually derived equations, but I probably never would have realized that I was treating I[itex]_{3}[/itex] as if it were flowing in two directions at once.

Using two of the equations from the original system in the nodal rule equation I[itex]_{1}[/itex] = I[itex]_{2}[/itex]+ I[itex]_{3}[/itex] made it all fall together though. I'm still not sure how I'd figure out what direction I[itex]_{3}[/itex] was flowing in if it weren't given in the problem, but at least I'm FINALLY done with this problem.

tl;dr you are the best, thanks

5. Oct 29, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need not find out the direction of the currents in advance. If you have not chosen the proper direction you would get negative value for the current.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook