Finding current using Kirchhoff's circuit rules

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchhoff's loop rule and Kirchhoff's current law to solve a circuit problem. The attempt at a solution involved setting up a system of linear equations, but the incorrect use of signs led to the equations cancelling out. The solution was eventually found by using a combination of loop and nodal equations. The direction of the current was not initially known, but could be determined through the use of the nodal equation.
slaufer

Homework Statement

Nt0Cm.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's loop rule and (maybe) Kirchhoff's current law

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted to apply Kirchhoff's loop rule to the circuit, and ended up with a system of linear equations:

24 - 6I[itex]_{1}[/itex] - 3I[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2I[itex]_{1}[/itex] - I[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 8
36 - 6I[itex]_{1}[/itex] - 6I[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] I[itex]_{1}[/itex] + I[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 6
12 - 3I[itex]_{3}[/itex] - 6I[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2I[itex]_{2}[/itex] + I[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 4

but every time I try to solve it, I end up with everything dropping out. I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but I've been banging my head against this one for about 4 hours now, so any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
slaufer said:

Homework Statement

Nt0Cm.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's loop rule and (maybe) Kirchhoff's current law

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted to apply Kirchhoff's loop rule to the circuit, and ended up with a system of linear equations:

24 - 6I[itex]_{1}[/itex] - 3I[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2I[itex]_{1}[/itex] - I[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 8 wrong
36 - 6I[itex]_{1}[/itex] - 6I[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] I[itex]_{1}[/itex] + I[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 6
12 - 3I[itex]_{3}[/itex] - 6I[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0 wrong[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2I[itex]_{2}[/itex] + I[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 4

but every time I try to solve it, I end up with everything dropping out. I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but I've been banging my head against this one for about 4 hours now, so any help would be appreciated!

Check the signs.
You also have a relation between the currents. (Nodal Law) Use that and two loop equations.

ehild

Last edited:
Thanks, that makes more sense now.

I might have eventually realized that my system was cancelling out because it was using mutually derived equations, but I probably never would have realized that I was treating I[itex]_{3}[/itex] as if it were flowing in two directions at once.

Using two of the equations from the original system in the nodal rule equation I[itex]_{1}[/itex] = I[itex]_{2}[/itex]+ I[itex]_{3}[/itex] made it all fall together though. I'm still not sure how I'd figure out what direction I[itex]_{3}[/itex] was flowing in if it weren't given in the problem, but at least I'm FINALLY done with this problem.

tl;dr you are the best, thanks

You need not find out the direction of the currents in advance. If you have not chosen the proper direction you would get negative value for the current.

ehild

It seems like you have correctly applied Kirchhoff's loop rule to the circuit and obtained a system of linear equations. However, it is possible that there is a mistake in your calculations or in setting up the equations. I would recommend double checking your work and making sure all the signs and values are correct. It is also helpful to label the nodes and branches in the circuit to keep track of the variables. Additionally, you can try using Kirchhoff's current law to set up another set of equations and solve the system using simultaneous equations. If you are still having trouble, you can consult with a classmate or your instructor for further assistance. Remember to always double check your work and equations when solving circuit problems. Good luck!

1. What are Kirchhoff's circuit rules?

Kirchhoff's circuit rules are two fundamental laws in circuit analysis that are used to determine the voltages and currents in a circuit. The first rule, Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit must equal zero. The second rule, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must equal zero.

2. How do you apply Kirchhoff's circuit rules?

To apply Kirchhoff's circuit rules, you first need to draw a circuit diagram and label all the components and their respective values. Then, apply KCL at every node in the circuit to determine the unknown currents. Next, apply KVL to any closed loop in the circuit to determine the unknown voltages. Finally, use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to calculate any remaining values.

3. Can Kirchhoff's circuit rules be used in any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's circuit rules can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit, or a more complex circuit with multiple branches and loops. These rules are based on the fundamental principles of conservation of charge and energy, which apply to all circuits.

4. What is the significance of using Kirchhoff's circuit rules?

Kirchhoff's circuit rules are important because they provide a systematic and mathematical approach to analyzing circuits. They allow us to determine the currents and voltages in a circuit without physically measuring them, which is essential for designing and troubleshooting electronic systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchhoff's circuit rules?

There are a few limitations to using Kirchhoff's circuit rules. One limitation is that these rules assume ideal conditions, such as zero resistance in wires and perfect voltage sources, which may not be the case in real-world circuits. Additionally, these rules are only applicable to linear circuits, where the current and voltage relationships follow Ohm's Law.