Finding distance in a race based on speed

• Thread starter bling-bling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Race Speed
In summary, the runner won the 100.000 m dash by 0.001 meters, with a total time for the race of 11.800 seconds and a difference of 0.001 seconds between their respective speeds of 8.474 m/s and 8.475 m/s. More calculations are needed for a more accurate measurement.
bling-bling

Homework Statement

You nose out another runner to win the 100.000 m dash. If your total time for the race was 11.800 s and you aced out the other runner by 0.001 s, by how many meters did you win?

Homework Equations

a = v-v0 / t

The Attempt at a Solution

So i found the acceleration of both the runners and took the difference between their accelerations. Now what do i do to find the distance the runner won by?
100 m / 11.801 s = 8.474 m/s
100 m /11.800 s = 8.475 m/s
8.475 m/s - 8.474 m/s = 0.001 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bling-bling! :smile:
bling-bling said:
So i found the acceleration of both the runners and took the difference between their accelerations. Now what do i do to find the distance the runner won by?
100 m / 11.801 s = 8.474 m/s
100 m /11.800 s = 8.475 m/s
8.475 m/s - 8.474 m/s = 0.001 m/s

(i think you mean "speed", not "acceleration" :wink:)

0.001 m/s is the relative speed, sooo … ? :smile:

(btw, won't you need more than 4 https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=523" in your intermediate steps if you want reasonable accuracy after subtracting? :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
so the 0.001 is not the distance that the runner won by? if not, how do i figure that out?

What is the formula for finding distance in a race based on speed?

The formula for finding distance in a race based on speed is distance = speed x time. This means that the distance traveled is equal to the speed at which the race is being run multiplied by the time it takes to complete the race.

How do you convert speed from miles per hour to meters per second?

To convert speed from miles per hour to meters per second, you can use the conversion factor of 1 mile = 1609.34 meters and 1 hour = 3600 seconds. So, to convert from miles per hour to meters per second, you would multiply the speed in miles per hour by 0.44704.

How do you calculate the average speed of a race?

To calculate the average speed of a race, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken to complete the race. For example, if a race is 5 miles long and takes 30 minutes to complete, the average speed would be 5 miles / 0.5 hours, which is equal to 10 miles per hour.

Can you find the distance in a race based on speed without knowing the time taken?

No, it is not possible to find the distance in a race based on speed without knowing the time taken. The formula for distance involves both speed and time, so without one of those variables, the distance cannot be accurately calculated.

How do you find the speed of a race if you know the distance and time?

If you know the distance and time of a race, you can find the speed by dividing the distance by the time. For example, if a race is 10 miles long and takes 2 hours to complete, the speed would be 10 miles / 2 hours, which is equal to 5 miles per hour.