1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1-D (I think) Speed to distance problem

1. Feb 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A runner exerts a constant force to accelerate from rest to 2.0 m/s over a distance of 12 m.
    Assuming the runner can keep up the same force, what total distance would be needed to ac-
    celerate up from rest to 3.0 m/s?

2. Relevant equations

none given.

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer to the problem is 27. After quite some time spent thinking I tried solving first part for time using x= 1/2 vt and then plugging it into 2nd part. but that gives time as 12 and 2nd x as 18 so wrong. Dunno how to solve it

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello magnanimousto. Welcome to PF!

What kinematic equations do you know?

Alternatively, do you know the Work-Energy Theorem ?

4. Feb 6, 2014 #3
    This is a constant acceleration problem, so you can use the basic kinematic equations for that case. Try solving for the acceleration first, and using that value for the next part.

If you don't know those equations, here's the one you should probably use -- they're very helpful to memorize though.
    [itex]v_{f}^{2}= v_{i}^{2} + 2aΔd[/itex]

5. Feb 7, 2014 #4
    Thanks jackarms & SammyS.I do know kinematics equations, for some reason it never occurred to me that since the force is the same in both so must be the acceleration

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted