Finding distance using vector components

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance between two points with given vector components, using the concept of unit vectors and scalar product. The final solution involves calculating the magnitude of the vector connecting the two points.
LadyTwi

Homework Statement

wii.gif

With reference to Fig. 3 (not accurate), where the origin is at the centre of the image, if r1 = (0.10)î+(-0.80)j hat, and r2 = (-0.90)î+(0.10)j hat, what is the distance between the dots?

Homework Equations

Unsure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not so good with these i hat and j hat vector components. I've tried using (x2-x1) + (y2-y1) but that didn't give the correct answer. I'm not really sure what I can do with the two equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
here's some reading for you to do that should help!
http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/vectors/vectors.html

That is a helpful link, however I still can't get the answer. XD Do I have to find the angle between r1 and r2 and use that to find the distance or does it have to do with the addition of the i hat components and the j hat components?

the beauty of unit vectors is that it already takes the angle into consideration! all you have to do in this case is add the i vectors with i vectors and js with js.

I've tried that but BLS/CAPA is still telling me that my answer is wrong. Maybe I'm entering it wrong...?

The distance between two points is the magnitude of the vector connecting these two points. In your problem this vector is [tex]\vec{r} = \vec{r_{2}}-\vec{r_{1}}[/tex]. To encounter the magnitude of this vector, all we have to do is calcute the scalar product of it with itself and take the square root. So,
[tex]distance = \sqrt{\vec{r}\dot\vec{r}}[/tex].

Thank you! I have the answer now. =D

1. What is the concept of finding distance using vector components?

Finding distance using vector components is a method used in physics to calculate the distance between two points in a coordinate system. It involves breaking down the distance into its horizontal and vertical components, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the overall distance.

2. How is the distance calculated using vector components?

The distance is calculated by first finding the horizontal and vertical components of the distance using trigonometric functions. Then, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the overall distance using the formula d = √(x² + y²), where x and y represent the horizontal and vertical components, respectively.

3. What are the advantages of using vector components to find distance?

Using vector components to find distance allows for a more precise and accurate calculation, as it takes into account both the horizontal and vertical displacement. It also allows for easier visualization and understanding of the distance traveled.

4. In what situations is finding distance using vector components useful?

Finding distance using vector components is useful in any situation where the distance between two points needs to be calculated in a coordinate system. This can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

5. Are there any limitations to using vector components to find distance?

The main limitation of using vector components to find distance is that it assumes the motion is happening in a straight line. It does not take into account any changes in direction, which may occur in real-life situations. Additionally, it may be more complex to use in three-dimensional systems.