To find the component of a vector perpendicular to another

brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Calculate the component of a vector ##\vec A = \hat i+\hat j+5\hat k## perpendicular to ##\vec B = 3\hat i + 4\hat j##.
Relevant Equations
1. The vector ##\vec B'## perpendicular to ##\vec B## is such that ##\vec B'\cdot \vec B = 0##.

2. The (vector) component of a vector ##\vec A## along a vector ##\vec B'## is ##(\vec A)_{B'}=(A\cos\theta_{AB'})\hat B##.
1701762522259.png
Problem statement :
I copy and paste the (slightly different) problem statement as it appeared in the text to the right.

Attempt : By inspection, we find that the vector ##\vec B'## perpendicular to ##\vec B = 3\hat i+4\hat j## is ##\boldsymbol{\vec B' = 4\hat i -3\hat j}##, remembering that for perpendicular vectors ##\vec B## and ##\vec B'##, ##\vec B\cdot \vec B' = 0##.

The vector component of ##(\vec A)_{B'}=(A\cos\theta_{AB'})\hat B'=\left(\frac{\vec A\cdot \vec B'}{B'} \right)\hat B'##.
Now ##\vec A\cdot \vec B'=\frac{1}{5}##, ##B' = B = 5## and ##\hat B' =\frac{4\hat i- 3\hat j}{5}##.
Thus ##\boxed{(\vec A)_{B'}= \frac{1}{25}\left( \frac{4}{5}\hat i - \frac{3}{5}\hat j\right)}##.Doubt : My answer is at odds with that of the text, which I copy and paste below.

1701763979480.png
Question : I agree to the text's method, viz. ##\vec A = \vec A_{\parallel}+\vec A_{\perp}##. However, I struggle to see what's wrong with my my method either.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may add [tex]\alpha \mathbf{k}[/tex] to B' and keep it perpendicular to B.

You got answer C. The book solution has a typo in the last line, with a extra factor of 5 in the denominator.

PS I got the solutions mixed up. It's yours that is wrong, with the extra factor of 5.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
You got answer C. The book solution has a typo in the last line, with a extra factor of 5 in the denominator.
My answer differs from not having a ##5\hat k## also. So my vector component is confined in the ##x-y## plane. I am wondering if this problem has a unique solution.

brotherbobby said:
My answer differs from not having a ##5\hat k## also. So my vector component is confined in the ##x-y## plane. I am wondering if this problem has a unique solution.
It's a given that you include the ##5\hat k##. The solution is unique, as long as you sufficiently define what you mean by component. If we express$$\vec A = \alpha \vec B + \vec C$$Where ##\vec B \cdot \vec C = 0##, then ##\vec C## is uniquely defined. The proof is an exercise if you want.

PS this is an example of what I call a "specific techique". This is where a specific technique is used to solve a specific problem, even where a completely general solution exists. Sometimes, a specific technique may be a significant shortcut. But, at other times, it's no simpler than the general approach.

The most common example is the quadratic equation. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing various techniques for solving specific quadratic solutions. And, yet, a general solution (completing the square) exists. Not to mention the general quadratic formula - which is so ubiquitous that it seems worth memorising!

In this case, the proof of the above (which I'll include here) represents a general technique for solving all such problems. This is certainly the way I look at mathematics. We are looking for ##\alpha## and ##\vec C## (the component) such that:$$\vec A = \alpha \vec B + \vec C$$Where ##\vec B \cdot \vec C = 0##.

First, we see that:$$\vec A \cdot \vec B = \alpha B^2$$Where ##B = |\vec B|##. Hence:
$$\alpha = \frac{ \vec A \cdot \vec B}{B^2} \ \ \text{and} \ \ \vec C = \vec A - \frac{ \vec A \cdot \vec B}{B^2}\vec B$$Let's check that out in this case:
$$\vec A \cdot \vec B = 7, \ B = 5$$$$\vec C = (1, 1, 5) - \frac 7 {25}(3, 4, 0) = (\frac 4 {25}, -\frac 3 {25}, 5)$$That's a general approach to vectors that will not only solve elementary problems, but lay a foundation for more advanced mathematics.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Can you check the answer? I am getting ##\vec C = \left( \dfrac{4}{25},-\dfrac{3}{25}, 5 \right)##

brotherbobby said:
Can you check the answer? I am getting ##\vec C = \left( \dfrac{4}{25},-\dfrac{3}{25}, 5 \right)##
Yes, I had a typo in my final answer! Fixed now.

I'm not even clear in what the " Component of a vector" is, unless one refers to the coefficient I ent of either i,j or k.

WWGD said:
I'm not even clear in what the " Component of a vector" is.
It's a fairly simple idea that uses the idea that a vector can be decomposed into a sum of other vectors. Of course, you have to specify the direction of the vector component. A trivial example is that the vector ##\vec u = 2i + 3j + 5k## has a component in the direction of the positive x-axis of 2i.

Likes WWGD
Mark44 said:
It's a fairly simple idea that uses the idea that a vector can be decomposed into a sum of other vectors. Of course, you have to specify the direction of the vector component. A trivial example is that the vector ##\vec u = 2i + 3j + 5k## has a component in the direction of the positive x-axis of 2i.
Yes, that's what I thought and wrote in the remainder of my post.

brotherbobby said:
Attempt : By inspection, we find that the vector ##\vec B'## perpendicular to ##\vec B = 3\hat i+4\hat j## is ##\boldsymbol{\vec B' = 4\hat i -3\hat j}##, remembering that for perpendicular vectors ##\vec B## and ##\vec B'##, ##\vec B\cdot \vec B' = 0##.
Let's do a simple sanity check here. There is an entire plane perpendicular to ##\vec B##. How did you pick that vector, ##\vec B'##, out of an entire plane with no reference to the vector ##\vec A##? The answer should be unique. That should make you sceptical of your method.

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
Let's do a simple sanity check here. There is an entire plane perpendicular to ##\vec B##. How did you pick that vector, ##\vec B'##, out of an entire plane with no reference to the vector ##\vec A##? The answer should be unique. That should make you sceptical of your method.
Or, Brother Bobby, consider, if you've seen it, the Orthogonal Complement of the vector.

Likes FactChecker
WWGD said:
Or, Brother Bobby, consider, if you've seen it, the Orthogonal Complement of the vector.
In fact, with bad luck, ##\vec B'## might have been completely perpendicular to ##\vec A##.

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
Fair enough. But when we talk of a vector ##\vec B'## that is perpendicular to ##\vec B##, aren't we free to choose any vector? Let's ignore the contents of this particular problem for a moment.

Likes PeroK
WWGD said:
Can you explain? Does a vector have a complement orthogonal to it?

This problem was done and dusted by post #8, IMO.

PeroK said:
This problem was done and dusted by post #8, IMO.
Yes, actually in post #6, by @PeroK . However, I like a little post-mortem to clear things that others bring into the discussion.

brotherbobby said:
Fair enough. But when we talk of a vector ##\vec B'## that is perpendicular to ##\vec B##, aren't we free to choose any vector?
Yes. However, all of those vectors (##\vec B'##) determine the plane that is perpendicular to ##\vec B##.

brotherbobby said:
Fair enough. But when we talk of a vector ##\vec B'## that is perpendicular to ##\vec B##, aren't we free to choose any vector?
No. You better choose the right one if you want it to have the correct component of ##\vec A##. You might pick one with anything from a multiple of the desired component of ##\vec A## to one that is perpendicular to ##\vec A##. How would you know? This approach gets you nowhere. It is much better to start with ##\vec A## and subtract out the part of ##\vec A## that is parallel to ##\vec B##.

FactChecker said:
No. You better choose the right one if you want it to have the correct component of ##\vec A##.
Just to be clear, my answer of "yes" was strictly in response to the question about getting a perpendicular vector to a given one, with nothing to do with components.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker

1. How do you find the component of a vector perpendicular to another?

To find the component of a vector perpendicular to another, you can use the dot product and cross product of the two vectors. First, calculate the dot product of the two vectors. Then, use the cross product to find the vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors. The component of the original vector that is perpendicular to the other vector is the projection of the original vector onto the perpendicular vector.

2. What is the significance of finding the component of a vector perpendicular to another?

Finding the component of a vector perpendicular to another is important in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to separate a vector into two components: one that is parallel to another vector and one that is perpendicular to it. This can help us analyze the motion or forces acting on an object in a more simplified manner.

3. Can you explain the geometric interpretation of finding the component of a vector perpendicular to another?

Geometrically, finding the component of a vector perpendicular to another involves projecting one vector onto a line that is perpendicular to the other vector. This projection creates a right triangle, where the original vector is the hypotenuse, and the component we are looking for is one of the sides. The perpendicular component represents the amount of the original vector that lies in a direction perpendicular to the other vector.

4. What are the mathematical formulas used to find the component of a vector perpendicular to another?

The mathematical formulas used to find the component of a vector perpendicular to another involve vector operations such as the dot product and cross product. The dot product helps us find the projection of one vector onto another, while the cross product helps us find a vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors. By combining these operations, we can determine the component of a vector that is perpendicular to another.

5. In what scenarios is it useful to find the component of a vector perpendicular to another?

It is useful to find the component of a vector perpendicular to another in scenarios where we need to analyze the interactions between two vectors in a system. For example, in mechanics, we can use this concept to separate the gravitational force acting on an object into components that are parallel and perpendicular to a surface. This can help us understand how the object will move or react under different conditions.