1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding distance with velocity, Uk

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An airplane makes a belly landing at 80km/h (I've converted to 22.22222m/s), the coefficient of kinetic friction between it and the runway is 0.60. How far does the airplane slide on the runway?

2. Relevant equations
    acceleration = [sine(x) - (Uk)(cos(x))] x gravity (I used this formula for an incline question)
    V2[tex]^{}2[/tex] = V1[tex]^{}2[/tex] + 2ad

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried using the acceleration = sinex ... formula to solve for the acceleration of the airplane, using an angle of 0 because this is the formula I used for an incline question. I found the acceleration was -5.88m/s/s, then plugged that in to the second formula, which yielded me a distance of 1.9m that the airplane travels...which doesn't really make sense to me:
    0 = 22.2 + 2(-5.88)(d)
    d = 1.9m
    Have I done something wrong, or is there an easier formula to use that I haven't come across in my class?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2
    You didn't square the initial velocity.

4. Oct 23, 2007 #3
    oh my...thanks :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?