1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding eigenstate for the annhilation operator

1. Oct 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the eigenvector of the annhilation operator a.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]a|n\rangle = \sqrt{n}|{n-1}\rangle[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Try to show this for an arbitrary wavefunction:
    [itex]|V\rangle = \sum_{n=1}^\infty c_{n}|n\rangle [/itex]

[itex] a|V\rangle = a\sum_{n=1}^\infty c_{n}|n\rangle = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \sqrt{n} c_{n}|n-1\rangle[/itex]

Define a new constant, k = n - 1, and put this in:

- > [itex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty \sqrt{k + 1} c_{k + 1}|k\rangle = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \sqrt{n + 1} c_{n + 1}|n\rangle [/itex]

This was a trick I found in my notes from a lecture, but I do not quite understand how you can say that k = n in the last part. Is it just because k and n are an arbitrary notation for the basis set? Or is it due to the fact that since the sum goes to infity, the difference of 1 does not matter (since I really defined k to be n - 1)?

When I continue with this, I get:

[itex]a( c_{1}|1\rangle + c_{2}|2\rangle + c_{3}|3\rangle + ...) = c( \sqrt{1}c_{1}|0\rangle\ + \sqrt{2}c_{2}|1\rangle + \sqrt{3}c_{3}|2\rangle + \sqrt{4}c_{4}|3\rangle) [/itex]

I am not really sure where to go next. I tried setting the coeffecient before each basisvector equal, like this:

[itex] c\sqrt{1}c_{1} = 0 [/itex]
    [itex] c_{1} = \sqrt{2}c_{2}c [/itex]
    [itex] c_{2} = \sqrt{3}c_{3}c [/itex]
    [itex] c_{3} = \sqrt{4}c_{4}c [/itex]

The problem her is that since the first part does not contain the vector [itex] 0|\rangle[/itex], either c or [itex]c_{1}[/itex] has to be zero in the first equation, and then everything becomes zero, but I know that the annihilation operator has eigenstates.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2015 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Is there some reason you didn't start this sum at n=0 ?

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3
    Yes, because when the annihilation operator works on the state zero, we will get zero by definition according to my book so I thought that there was no point in taking it. But I can see that that would get me on the right track again, but I don't know how I can do it?

But by taking the sum from n = 0, I end up with [itex] c_n = c_{n-1}\frac{c'}{\sqrt{n}} [/itex], where c' = [itex] \frac{1}{c} [/itex]. And now I'm not really sure what to do next. Can I just put this in my expression for [itex] |V\rangle [/itex] and call that an eigenstate with c' as the constant? It doesn't look like the expression I found for the eigenstate, which was [itex] |V\rangle [/itex] = [itex] c_{0} [/itex] [itex] \sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty [/itex] [itex] \frac{c^n}{\sqrt{n!}} [/itex][itex]|n\rangle [/itex] in my notation. I tried writting the expression I found out, but then I got something like:
    [itex] c_0 + \frac{c'c_0}{\sqrt{1}} + \frac{c_0c'^2}{\sqrt{2}} + \frac{c_0c'^3}{\sqrt{6}} [/itex]. It sort of looks like the equations I got in the start, but I'm stuck in trying to get to one place from the other. Any hints?

And thanks for the help!

5. Oct 6, 2015 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

In your "relevant equations", you didn't write out the action of the creation operator ##a^*##. E.g.,
    $$a^*|0\rangle ~=~ ~?~$$$$(a^*)^2 |0\rangle ~=~ ~?~$$etc. Try to express each term in your sum for ##|V\rangle## in terms of ##a^*## acting on the vacuum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted