Finding Eigenvectors of 2-state system

In summary, the method outlined in Cohen-Tannoudji page 423 allows for the eigenvectors of a 2-state system to be found in a less cumbersome way. However, this step is confusing and requires help from someone more experienced.
Kekeedme
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to understand a method for determining the eigenvectors of 2-state system as explained in Cohen-Tannoudji. I am having trouble with a step he seems to have skipped
In Cohen-Tannoudji page 423, they try to teach a method that allows to find the eigenvectors of a 2-state system in a less cumbersome way. I understand the steps, up to the part where they go from equation (20) to (21). I understand that (20) it automatically leads to (21). Can someone please enlighten me about this step please?
20230412_223040.jpg

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Kekeedme said:
Can someone please enlighten me about this step please?
Try writing ##\tan \theta## as ##\sin \theta / \cos \theta## so that you can factor out ##1 / \cos \theta## from both terms on the LHS of (20) (and thus you can eliminate that factor since the RHS of (20) is zero) and then look at the standard double angle and half angle formulas for trig functions.

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
Hello Peter Donis, thank you for your response. I did start trying to play with double and half angle trig identities, but you are right that I did not factor ##\frac{1}{\cos{\theta}}## first. When I do, I get:
$$(\cos({\theta}) -1)a - (\sin({\theta})\exp{-i\phi})b = 0$$
From there, I have tried playing with the trig identities but I can't seem to see what I am missing. Do you perhaps see what I am missing, please?

Last edited:
Then multiplying through by ##\exp{\frac{i\phi}{2}}##
yields:
$$\left(\cos{\theta}-1\right)\exp{\frac{i\phi}{2}} a - \left(\sin{\theta}\exp{\frac{-i\phi}{2}}\right)b=0$$
Which is a bit closer to the result, but not it.

Kekeedme said:
Then multiplying through by ##\exp{\frac{i\phi}{2}}##
yields:
$$\left(\cos{\theta}-1\right)\exp{\frac{i\phi}{2}} a - \left(\sin{\theta}\exp{\frac{-i\phi}{2}}\right)b=0$$
Which is a bit closer to the result, but not it.

Notice that the equation you have involves ##\cos \theta## and ##\sin \theta##, while CCT gives it in terms of ##\cos \theta/2## and ##\sin \theta/2##, so you should think of using half-angle formulas.

Hello Dr Claude,
I did try that. But I don't seem to see how to use them to go from (20) from CCT to (21) or even from what I wrote above. The double angle formulas involve ##sqrt##, which are not present in the expressions, or I can't make them appear

Kekeedme said:
Hello Dr Claude,
I did try that. But I don't seem to see how to use them to go from (20) from CCT to (21) or even from what I wrote above. The double angle formulas involve ##sqrt##, which are not present in the expressions, or I can't make them appear
In the direction you want, they will bring about squares, not square roots. There is a way to remove the square afterwards.

Likes Kekeedme
Oh, I got it!
I should divide through by ##\sin{\theta}##
This will allow me to get ##-\tan{\frac{\theta}{2}}## as a factor of ##a## and then multiply through by ##\cos{\frac{\theta}{2}}##
Thank you Peter and Dr Claude

Likes PeterDonis and DrClaude

1. What is a 2-state system?

A 2-state system is a mathematical model that represents a physical system with two distinct states. It can be used to describe a variety of systems, such as the spin of a particle or the polarization of light.

2. What are eigenvectors in a 2-state system?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that represent the directions in which a linear transformation has a simple effect. In a 2-state system, they represent the possible states of the system that remain unchanged when the system undergoes a transformation.

3. How do you find eigenvectors in a 2-state system?

To find eigenvectors in a 2-state system, you first need to determine the eigenvalues of the system. These are the values that, when multiplied by the eigenvectors, result in the original vector. Once you have the eigenvalues, you can solve for the corresponding eigenvectors using a system of linear equations.

4. What is the significance of eigenvectors in a 2-state system?

Eigenvectors are important in a 2-state system because they represent the stable states of the system. They also provide a basis for understanding the behavior and dynamics of the system, as they remain unchanged when the system undergoes a transformation.

5. Can eigenvectors change in a 2-state system?

No, eigenvectors cannot change in a 2-state system. They are fixed and represent the stable states of the system. However, the eigenvalues, and therefore the corresponding eigenvectors, can change if the system undergoes a transformation.