1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding elastic constant given mass and elongation

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm doing a lab where a known mass is suspended by a spring. All that is known is the mass of the weight used and the length of the elongation of the spring, and I need to find the elastic potential energy of the spring and the spring constant, K.

2. Relevant equations
    (formatted text links aren't clicking for me?)
    Elastic PE = 1/2Kx^2--x normally applies to the elongation of the spring though it is extending in the y direction in this case

Gravitational PE = 9.81mh

GPE + EPE = Total PE/KE (energy is assumed to be conserved)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem is I have two variables and no way I can see to substitute for one of them to simplify the equation, so I don't know how to isolate a spring constant or the elastic potential energy.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You need the other spring formula, F = kx.

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    Ah, that should help. is that force found with Mass*g*x?
    Thanks for the help thus far.

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The F is mass*g.
    Solve for k.

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5
    lol you're right-- after I thought about it, I realized it was just m*g. I'll be able to finish it up , and now I'm sure you want to get to some more questions so have a good night;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook