Finding electric field from potential V(x,y,z) = A(x²,-3y²,z²)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
quackzilla
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
It gives V(x,y,x) = A(x^2,-3y^2,z^2) and asks for E.


What I have done:

E is equal to V/d , and I assume d = (x,y,x)

Dividing them I get E= A(x,-3y,z)

What am I doing wrong?

I also have another question:

In every plane parallel to the xz-plane the equipotential contours are circles. What is the radius of the equipotential contour corresponding to V=1280V and y=2m? (this is an extension of the previous question).

I have a test tomorrow, and there are a few things I still don't know how to do. Any hints on how to do these would greatly help my studying.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For the second question, you need to use the equation E = V/d. The distance d can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem: d^2 = (x-2)^2 + z^2. Then you can use this to calculate the radius of the equipotential contour.